Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 19, 2024 at 11:43 am #15755401

martinW-39

Background of the issue:
We have the problem that our main menu items "Our competencies", "About us", "Career" and "Become a partner" are translated on the English instance (by means of assigned strings), but still link to the German pages. This must be adapted, but has not yet been achieved either by re-translating or re-synchronizing the link targets. The menu is created as a saved line in the Beaver Builder ("Mega Menu Singhammer"). And would be integrated as a header via shortcode in the Customizer. However, it is not a solution for us to adjust the links manually via the Beaver Builder on the English page, as this would result in display errors in the Mega Menu and these would be overwritten by re-synchronizing the link targets.

Symptoms:
Translated menu items in the English instance still link to the German pages.

Questions:
How can we ensure that the translated menu items link to the correct English pages?
Is there a way to synchronize the link targets without causing display errors in the Mega Menu?
Can WPML handle this type of menu translation and synchronization automatically?

June 20, 2024 at 2:15 pm #15764488

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. While you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take this ticket and work on it, let me provide you with first debugging steps or if I can perhaps help with the issue quickly.

So, menus are translated in a specific way. Please check our documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Note that there are different methods, depending on how much control you want to have over the translation of the menu. It's also necessary, depending on your context, to translate the header elements which contain the menu you created.

If that does not help, one of my colleagues will soon come to continue support.

June 20, 2024 at 2:21 pm #15764553

martinW-39

Hello,
As already described, the menu is not integrated as a "normal menu". Accordingly, these options do not help. This is a mega menu which has been integrated via a saved line.
Thank you very much

June 20, 2024 at 10:47 pm #15768090

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

I have read through your initial questions, before we proceed with debugging can you please verify that the mega menu is being translated and configured for multilingual sites based on their team's documentation?

hidden link

June 21, 2024 at 11:54 am #15774633

martinW-39

Hello,
“Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality” is enabled as written in the documentation. However, we use a different plugin from Beaver Builder for the Mega Menu. The further steps therefore do not match.

June 21, 2024 at 6:21 pm #15778017

Bobby
Supporter

In this case please see this one
hidden link

"Each translation of your site will require manual configuration of each menu item and menu structure as a whole.

Menu translation process carefully described in "Translating Menus" section from WPML documentation.
When you will get translated menu, all what you need in order to get translated MEGA menu - just select needed options for each menu item. Process of item configuration is described in current document, section "Settings of the definite item of the menu"."

If that does not help and you are still having the issue I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

June 25, 2024 at 8:04 pm #15825218

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

I can see the Beaver Builder Row items for the menus, however, where can I locate the template for the header to see how you are editing this.

June 26, 2024 at 8:54 am #15831513

martinW-39

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The Header Menu can be edited in the "Mega Menu Singhammer" row, as linked in the previous comment.

You can see the header once you scroll to the bottom of the page hidden link

June 26, 2024 at 6:21 pm #15836629

Bobby
Supporter

I understand now, thank you!

What is the shortcode you use to assign the menu to your header? Please share it with me or the link to your header template.

I assume you use an ID within the shortcode, are you using the same ID for both languages ? Typically a translation will have it's own ID.

June 27, 2024 at 8:56 am #15842032

martinW-39

No problem!

The Shortcode for the menu is used in the customizer hidden link in Header>Navigation>Eigenes Menu:

[fl_builder_insert_layout id=992]

As far as I can see it is the same for the english language, but I'm not sure if there can be different values when using the customizer.

June 27, 2024 at 7:29 pm #15846311

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for sharing, that helps greatly!

Let's try this:

1. Go to WPML->String Translation
2. At the bottom of the screen click on "translate texts in admin screen"
3. Search for '992'
4. See the screenshot -> select the string and add it to string translation
5. Go back to String Translation and add a translation, in the translation add the same shortcode but now change the ID with the ID of the translation

Let me know your results, please.

Screen Shot 2024-06-27 at 12.26.25 PM.png
July 1, 2024 at 2:39 pm #15869280

martinW-39

Thank you for the explanation!

I managed to create the string translation. But how do I find the ID of the translated row? Do I need to create a duplicate, translate the German version to English and use that ID in the shortcode?

July 1, 2024 at 9:48 pm #15870612

Bobby
Supporter

You can do that, that is one way to do this, however, since you have already translated it try this:

1. Edit the header template in the default language (WP backend not visual editor)
2. Click on the language switcher and switch the language to the secondary, you should be able to edit now the translation in the WP Editor

At the top in your browser's URL you should be able to see the post ID

If I am not mistaken it is ID = '6417' for the German translation

Let me know if that works.

July 2, 2024 at 9:35 am #15873883

martinW-39

That makes sense, thanks!

I translated the shortcode string, changed the ID to 6417 and cleared the caches. However, the links are still not translated. For some reason they don't even appear in the translation menu, unlike the "Home" link to /en/, which is translated correctly.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 113453.png
July 2, 2024 at 8:04 pm #15877987

Bobby
Supporter

When I review it I can see that the top-level items are still with wrong URLs.

I believe this might be related to this issue here:
https://wpml.org/errata/unlimited-elements-for-elementor-translating-links-from-mega-menu-widget/

(Errata is about Elementor but the same concept is similar for the way mega menu is being added to your site through BB widget.)

I will escalate this to our compatibility team and update you.