Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are experiencing an issue where the current language is being automatically added to the menu on your site using WPML, without any action on your part.
Solution:
We recommend checking if the "Menu language switcher" option is enabled in WPML. Here's how you can address this issue:
1. Navigate to WPML >> Languages > Menu Language Switcher section. If the language switcher is added, you can remove it by clicking on the delete icon.
2. Alternatively, you can hide the secondary languages from frontend visitors by selecting the secondary language option under WPML >> Languages > Hide languages section.
For more detailed guidance, please refer to our documentation on hiding languages on the front-end.

If this solution does not apply to your case, or if it seems outdated, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 5 days, 8 hours ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author Posts
September 29, 2024 at 2:12 pm #16233293

Thomas Maier

Background of the issue:
I am working on a site under development and using WPML.

Symptoms:
Somehow the current language is added in the menu but I haven't done anything.

Questions:
Why is the current language being added to the menu without any action on my part?
How can I remove the current language from the menu?

September 29, 2024 at 4:01 pm #16233466

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. WPML automatically adds a language switcher to menus if the "Menu language switcher" option is enabled from WPML >> Languages > Menu Language Switcher section and page is translated to secondary language.

You may remove the language switcher by following the either of the below steps:
1. Go to WPML >> Languages > Menu Language Switcher section and click on the delete icon to remove the language switcher from frontend (screenshot attached).

2. You can also hide the secondary languages from frontend visitors by selecting the secondary language option from WPML >> Languages > Hide languages section as you can see in the attached screenshot.

Here is a doc for more details:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/hiding-languages-on-the-front-end/

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or if you need further assistance with this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation

Delete language switcher.png
Hide languages.png
September 30, 2024 at 8:34 am #16234890

Thomas Maier

Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvinience.

Thomas Maier confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-30 08:34:46.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.