Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
May 9, 2023 at 2:56 am #13609383

timK-2

Hi Long

During this process, I received this notification when I wanted to auto-translate content the way I always did

"You can only automatically translate content from your primary language (English) to other languages. Use the language switcher at the top of this page to switch to English."

Did you change the primary language? Before, I could auto-translate articles from any language.

Thank you

Tim

May 9, 2023 at 3:10 am #13609439

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your feedback.

I do not change the primary (default) language on your site. It is set to English as before, I see the Debug information.

The problem is, Automatic Translation does not support automatically translating content created in the second language to other languages, for example: German to French.
It only supports translating content from English (default) to other languages on your site automatically.

If you need to translate other languages automatically, please click on the translation icon when editing the post/page, go to the Advanced Translation Editor, and click the "Automatic Translation" button (hidden link).

Please read more in the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/automatic-translation/

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

May 9, 2023 at 4:18 pm #13615841

timK-2

Hi Long

Thanks for your reply!

The problem is, Automatic Translation does not support automatically translating content created in the second language to other languages, for example: German to French.

--> I actually always automatically translated content from a second language! All content written for About That Smile is in German and until now I never had problems translating it automatically. Is this new since the last update?

Thanks

Tim

May 10, 2023 at 3:32 am #13618155

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

This feature works as current for years but with the new design: prevent sending the job to automatic translation from the Translation Management board, you might notice that. Or it is possible the default site language is changed from German to English (WPML > Languages > Site Languages).

You can still translate the content automatically when you are in the Advanced Translation Editor as I suggested above.

Additionally, you can read the changelog here https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

May 14, 2023 at 5:18 am #13641793

timK-2

Hi Long

As you mentioned yourself, the default language wasn't changed.

I 100% could automatically translate from any language, not only from the default language! On all my websites!

What is the reason that you prevent automatic translations from secondary languages? Technically it is obviously possible to do it (and much faster!!!!).

Thanks

Tim

May 15, 2023 at 4:31 am #13644329

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

According to the debug info, I can see the previous version of WPML on your site is 4.5.14, I also tested this version on my demo site again and do not see WPML translate content (post, page) automatically from the second language.
You can translate the content (segments) in the Advanced Translation Editor automatically by clicking the button "Translate automatically".

I'm not sure what is the main reason but I think it's the design of this feature and it would help you to prevent messing up translation content on your site.

If you want to check this feature with the WPML older version, please login to the sandbox site hidden link
and download the older version of WPML here https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog
then let me know if you can replicate the issue.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] Split: internal links pointing to wrong language’ is closed to new replies.