Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client reported an issue where the Thai language version of their website had a double extension in the URL (e.g., /th/th/), causing the page to break. Upon troubleshooting, the client found that disabling the 'Custom Permalinks' plugin resolved the issue, but deactivating it would affect many page URLs.

Solution:
We recommended the client to:
1. Ensure a full backup of the website and database.
2. Perform the following steps on a staging or development site:
- Deactivate all plugins except WPML and its addons to check if the issue persists.
- Clear all caches and resave the permalinks.
- Reactivate each plugin one by one, checking for the issue after each activation to identify any conflicting plugins.
- If the issue remains, repeat the steps using a default WordPress theme.
We also informed the client that the 'Custom Permalinks' plugin is on our compatibility list, but it has not been tested for a long time. We suggested contacting the plugin developer for further assistance if issues arise.

Please note that the solution provided might be outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we recommend opening a new support ticket. We also highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you need further assistance, please contact us on the WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas Bin Hasan 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
February 16, 2024 at 5:20 am #15309962

berndK-15

The thai language has a double extension at the end and the page is broken.

Not sure why.

hidden link is for english
hidden link is for German
hidden link is for Thai and it is not working.

February 16, 2024 at 10:54 am #15311193

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the support.

Looks like hidden link or even hidden link redirect back to the default language home page.

However, before proceeding further, may I ask you to try the following?

IMPORTANT: Take full backup of your website and database beforehand. It is highly advised to try the following on a staging/dev site first, so your live website isn't compromised.

- Deactivate all plugins except WPML and its addons and check for the issue.
- Clear all caches and resave the permalinks.
- Activate each plugin one-by-one, while keeping check on the issue after a plugin is activated. This way you'll be able to pinpoint a plugin having a conflict (or problem), if any.
- If the problem persists, repeat the above steps with a default theme of WordPress (i.e. 2021 or 2024).

Please let me know and I'll try my best to help you further on the matter.

Regards.

February 17, 2024 at 5:47 am #15313389

berndK-15

Hello, thank you for your help.

I've done some troubleshooting and it seems that the cause of the conflict is with a plugin called "Custom Permalinks".

When I disable the plugin, things seem to work as intended, but the problem is that this plugin is directly affecting MANY of my pages. The URL of many of my pages will change if I deactivate this plugin.

What would you suggest I do?

February 19, 2024 at 6:30 am #15316000

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for the updates.

Although the said plugin is on our compatibility list (https://wpml.org/plugin/custom-permalinks/), but it's been a very long time when it was last tested. There're no useful resources or documentation available. Please contact the plugin developer in case you encounter any issues.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.