Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jaakI 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Osama Mersal.

Author Posts
September 5, 2022 at 6:47 am #11986395

jaakI

Tell us what you are trying to do?
1. I've will duplicate site with one language (language is Estonian)
2. The copied dev site should have different one language (the new one language should be Finnish).
3. Change content accordingly to the new language.

All post what I've found talk about adding language not changing it to the existing content.

September 5, 2022 at 9:18 am #11987827

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Thanks for contacting WPML forums support. I'll be glad to help you today.

1) I'm not sure if I get the issue correctly, but if you need to change the language of an existing page/post, you can edit the page and select the language from the language side panel. (Kindly check the attached screenshot)

If that is not the case, pleases elaborate more on the issue, and it would be great if you could provide some screenshots to help me understand the issue better.

2) Could you please share your Debug information with me?
You can read a detailed explanation about it here. (http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support)
The debug info will give me a lot of information about how your site is configured.

Best regards,
Osama

1.jpg
September 7, 2022 at 9:27 am #12003393

jaakI

Hello,

You are on the right track what I want, but..

This is suitable then site has ~10-20 pages, but for the e-commerce site there is 1000+ products it is littele too much manual work. Is there a way to do this in bulk? SQL script?

September 7, 2022 at 11:56 am #12004833

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no bulk method to achieve that, and if you used SQL, you might break the site because the language and translations are used in multiple tables.

However, if you don't have translated content, you can Reset WPML, re-install it, and choose the correct default language.

Kind regards,
Osama

September 14, 2022 at 5:47 am #12048079

jaakI

Solution to change language on the hole single lang site is feasible but not straight forward to the users. Despite using the WPML for several years this solution didn't come to my mind. Is it possible to write some topic in documentation "How to change single site content language"
The second problem is then I want to change text for the default lang string. I install language that I'm not using, assigning the string to this language and then change this string in my real default language. It's working but why I have to explain to my customer why the Welsh language (I'm using this language for this purposes) is installed.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.