Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assisted by: Andrey.

Author Posts
August 31, 2024 at 9:02 am #16127156

Lorenz

Background of the issue:
My customer has a museum with exhibits that have QR codes leading to an English website where visitors can select their language. The issue arises when visitors scan a new QR code; it defaults back to English instead of retaining the previously selected language. Idea: I can guide visitors to a popup or start-page on their first scan to select their language, which should be retained for subsequent scans.

Symptoms:
Every scan of a new QR code leads to the English version, even if the visitor previously selected a different language.

Questions:
How can I ensure that the language selected by the visitor on the first scan is retained for subsequent scans of different QR codes?
Is it possible to guide visitors to a popup or start-page on their first scan to select their language?

August 31, 2024 at 8:42 pm #16128153

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kyiv (GMT+03:00)

I'm sorry, but the feature you're looking for is currently unavailable in WPML. We understand that this may be disappointing, but we want to be upfront with you and let you know that creating a script for this feature would require custom coding, which is beyond the scope of our support.

The Developers Information can be found here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/

However, you can still redirect visitors to their preferred browser language using WPML settings. To enable browser language redirect, go to the WPML → Languages page and find the Browser language redirect option.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.