Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.96 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 30, 2023 at 4:59 pm #13741449

thomasP-75

We're trying to update one of our pages in the original language but noticed that the changes were not applied to all of the duplicates. Only some of the languages have been updated. There is a 502 error on the post.php request when we update the page and it looks like the request times out. This issue is happening on many of our pages. We believe this is timing out since we have a large number of duplicates. Pages with a small number of duplicates seem to be updating fine. With our current host, we have a server timeout of 1 minute and we cannot increase this.

We were wondering what exactly happens on the WPML side when you update a page that has translations and duplicates.

May 31, 2023 at 9:37 am #13744981

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Could you please increase your Memory Limit and WP Memory limit to 256M? 128M is the minimum required by WPML.
Your current values are:

PHP MemoryLimit 512M
WP Memory Limit 40M
Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

Now, revise the current value at WPML > Support > WordPress.

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you contact and ask them to modify them directly.
If you can get even higher values It would be great.

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, which means, with a default theme and no other plugins installed.

If this will still not solve the issue, please verify if those problems in fact disappear if you disable WPML, as the issue seems to affect original content and could be related to the theme or another plugin.

Best regards
Andreas

May 31, 2023 at 5:50 pm #13749325

thomasP-75

We increased the memory limit to 512M and the problem still persists.

The issue we're having is that when we update a page in our default language, we can see the change in the default language and only some of its duplicates. However, we want all of the duplicates to be updated properly.

From our understanding, when you update a page in the default language, WPML goes and copies the content and custom fields into the pages that are its duplicates. Is this correct? And is there more happening when you update the page?

May 31, 2023 at 6:32 pm #13749473

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sadly unable to tell what exactly happens inside the database if you duplicate the content, but in fact, the duplicates should always update themselves once the original content gets edited and saved.

Now, you are saying that the changes neither show up on the original content. As I mentioned earlier, this could mean that the issue is maybe not directly related to WPML.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate the issue further - ideal would be access to a Staging site on which I can disable plugins or switch the theme for testing.

You can find the required fields below the comment section when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, which means only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before allowing us access.
If you can't see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website credentials are set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

Id you can not provide access to a Staging site, I will have to install a plugin called "All In One WP Migration" to make a copy of the website where I can investigate the issue further.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you reply, click "I still need assistance."

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are obliged to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

Best regards
Andreas

May 31, 2023 at 7:39 pm #13749693

thomasP-75

We really think this is an issue with the publishing process taking too long and exceeding the server timeout set by our hosting provider. Is there anything we can do to speed up the WPML publishing process?

June 1, 2023 at 2:45 am #13750543

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would really need to have a closer look at the site - it might even be that the site is experiencing PHP or JavaScript errors.

Could you maybe set up a stagting site, on which we can run some tests?

The private form is enabled again.

Best regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Page Update Issue’ is closed to new replies.