Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing issues with translation and RTL layout, the Language Switcher not functioning correctly, incomplete product translations, and translated products not appearing on the Arabic version of the site. The client's theme, 'El Greco,' is not on the WPML list of compatible themes, which may be causing these issues.

Solution:
1. We verified that the Language Switcher is functioning correctly and displaying the translated product URLs.
2. For translating the product tab content 'Shipping and Returns,' we directed the client to use WPML > String Translation, accessible through Customization > Single Product > Product Tabs Settings.
3. The 'Item Specifics' tab content, which is stored in a custom table by the theme, requires custom code for translation. We recommended that the client contact the theme author to join our Go Global program, where our Compatibility developers can assist in making the theme compatible with WPML. Alternatively, the client can manually translate the product using the WordPress editor and add the 'Item Specifics' data for the translated product.

Refer to the following documentation for further guidance:

Please note that this solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. If these steps do not resolve your issue, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
April 6, 2024 at 4:37 pm #15490838

saeedA-12

Dear WPML Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out for assistance with several issues I am experiencing on my website (hidden link) despite having purchased the WPML Multilingual CMS for €99 just yesterday. The problems are primarily related to translation, RTL support, and the Language Switcher functionality. I have followed the instructions provided on your website to the best of my ability, yet the issues persist.

The main challenges I am facing include:

Persistent issues with translation and RTL layout that impact the user experience on my site.
The Language Switcher does not seem to function as expected, leading to navigation problems for users.
When attempting to translate products listed on my site, I am only prompted to translate the product name, omitting crucial information such as product specifications and details.
Translated products are not appearing on the corresponding Arabic page, making it impossible for Arabic-speaking customers to view my offerings.
Given these difficulties, I kindly request that a member of your support team access my site to make the necessary adjustments to ensure proper translation functionality. Furthermore, I urge a reconfiguration of the plugins and an optimization of the custom settings for translation to enhance the overall performance and user experience. It is also important to me that automatic translation is not used in this process, to maintain the quality and accuracy of the content.

Your assistance in resolving these issues is crucial for the smooth operation of my bilingual website, and I sincerely appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. Please let me know if you require any further information or access credentials to address these concerns.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Best regards,

April 8, 2024 at 4:29 am #15492338

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Saeed,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’m happy to help you with this issue.

I understand you have some issues when translating content on your site:

1. The language switcher doesn't work properly on your site: I recheck the language switcher and don't see any issues. It shows the translation product URL as well
hidden link

2. Product tab content: Item specifics, Shipping & Returns are not translated into Arabic language. I see the tab and content are created by the theme "El Greco".
The theme "El Greco" is not available in our list of compatible themes https://wpml.org/theme/
so you might experience some issues when using WPML to translate content on your site. I suggest you use a WPML-compatible theme to avoid those issues.

If you want to use the theme, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue and see if there is something we can do from our side.
It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

April 8, 2024 at 7:25 am #15492762

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I've checked the product tab content on your site and see that:

1. The tab content Shipping and Returns is configured in Customization > Single Product > Product Tabs Settings. You can translate this tab content in WPML > String Translation.

2. The tab content Item Specifics is configured when editing the product post. However, this data is stored in a custom table created by the theme. So it isn't possible to translate this content with the WPML translation editor without telling WPML to translate it.
It needs to have some custom code from both sides WPML and theme author to translate this content.
I suggest you contact the theme author and ask them to join our Go Global program where our Compatibility developers will help them to make their product compatible with WPML.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/go-global-program/

Or you can try to use the WordPress editor to translate the product manually and add the Item Specifics data for the translation product.

Refer documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

April 8, 2024 at 4:44 pm #15495577

saeedA-12

Dear Long Nguyen,

Thank you for your thorough examination of the issues and the detailed advice you've provided regarding the translation challenges on my website.

Regarding your suggestions, I've taken note of the steps needed to translate the "Shipping and Returns" tab content through WPML's String Translation feature and will proceed with that aspect accordingly.

For the "Item Specifics" issue, I want to inform you that I have all translations of the theme ready and handled by GlotPress. You can check and download any of their products translation on:

hidden link

Most importantly, I kindly request that you proceed with deleting the WPML plugin and all its related data from my site. After the complete removal, please reinstall WPML and configure the settings from scratch. This action is crucial for me, and I need it to be addressed with urgency to ensure the smooth operation of my website in multiple languages.

I trust your expertise in managing this process efficiently and look forward to the improvements this will bring to my site. Please consider this matter as urgent, and I greatly appreciate your prompt assistance.

Thank you once again for your support.

Best regards,

April 8, 2024 at 5:39 pm #15495701

saeedA-12

Dear Long Nguyen,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to provide you with an update on the situation regarding the WPML plugin issues we've been discussing.

After careful consideration, I decided to take proactive steps and have already deleted the WPML plugin and all related data from my site. I felt it was necessary to start with a clean slate to better diagnose and resolve the issues we've encountered.

Given this development, I kindly ask that you pause any further actions on your end for the time being. I plan to closely monitor my site's performance and functionality with WPML to determine if the same or similar issues persist.

Should the problems reoccur or if I encounter new challenges that require your expertise, I will not hesitate to reach out again for your valued support. In the meantime, I believe it's best to assess the site's behavior in its current state.

I sincerely appreciate your willingness to assist and your understanding in this matter. Your guidance has been instrumental, and I look forward to potentially collaborating again in the future should the need arise.

Thank you once again for your support and understanding.

Best regards,

April 9, 2024 at 1:56 am #15496398

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Sure, feel free to open a new ticket if you have any questions.

Thanks and have a good day.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.