Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 19, 2024 at 10:20 am #16197830

bjoernE-4

it offers naming for photos like captions, titles etc for some images, but not for other images, without it being clear as to why.

September 20, 2024 at 8:14 pm #16204088

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

It might be the case that you are using a custom page builder widget, (for example Unicode) which is missing a proper XML config to be translatable with the WPML Translation Editor.

Guide:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/register-page-builder-content-for-translation/

I can offer to take a closer look at this.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate the problem further.

You can find the required fields below the comments section when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you provide is private, which means that only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please make a backup copy of the website and database before granting us access.
If you cannot see the “wp-admin / FTP” fields, your login details for post and website will be set as “PUBLIC”. Do NOT publish the data unless you can see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

I may need to install a plugin here called “All In One WP Migration” to create a copy of the site so that I can investigate the issue further.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Click on “I still need assistance” the next time you reply.

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are required to request this information on each ticket individually. We are not allowed to access any access information that was not specifically submitted on that ticket in the private response form.

Best regards
Andreas

September 25, 2024 at 11:03 am #16220026

bjoernE-4

My apologies Andreas (Verzeihung!), I accidentally mistyped the URL of our testing site. The correct address is:

hidden link

I was also now able to get FTP credentials for this subdomain 🙂 They are as follows:

hidden link
Username: multisitesupport
Password: 235c%pbA8

Really hoping we can resolve these issues soon so our team can continue publishing again soon. Thanks for your kind support,
Team Citizen Conservation

September 25, 2024 at 2:39 pm #16221263

Andreas W.
Supporter

Thank you for your message!

It would be really great if you could name some examples, as I spend time searching and can not diretly find contents on which I can see the issues.

September 26, 2024 at 5:38 am #16223094

bjoernE-4

Sure, not a problem! So, for an example if you go to our "Downloads" page at

hidden link (German)

hidden link (English)

and scroll to the #fotos / #photos section, you see an image gallery that lists the animal names and the Latin versions underneath, whereby the Latin versions are supposed to be formatted in italics. We keep this consistent across the site.

This works well almost always in German, the original language.

Since the update, however, some of the German input isn't being made available for translation anymore. Even when searching for the German original titles, they aren't showing up in the WPML translation editor, as if they don't exist. This means, that we cannot mark up the translation accordingly as Italics in places, so the Latin names don't show Italics in these instances.

It's altogether unclear to us why some images work and are showing up and others don't seem to exist inside the Translation Tool.

Note: Our main problems are all with this WPML Tool. We have a different ticket where a colleague of yours is separately also looking into the tool, so he already appears to be switching plugins on and off, removing CSS etc. Problems we are encountering are also muddled chronological hierarchy (entries aren't mirroring the page order), impossibility to complete the 100% bar despite having saved all entries correctly (all green), previously saved entries being deleted by WPML when opening up the Editor again, etc

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 12.26.04.png
Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 12.25.23.png
September 26, 2024 at 12:40 pm #16225195

bjoernE-4

Hello, I still need assistance with the problem of image information formatting.

To continue with my above example, one problem is that in the WPML "Media Translation" section, where you can separately enter translations for captions, descriptions, titles etc for your images, my italics formatting sometimes isn't being saved. The original German displays them and saves them without issue, but when I try formatting the English translation the same way, it gets deleted automatically upon saving, and hence isn't displayed.

I tried uploading new images to the gallery hoping that the larger WPML Translation Editor would offer me the captions and descriptions there to translate, but it doesn't show any of these images.

This means that with some images, I currently cannot save parts of the translated title in Italics. The inconsistency is regrettable. Any idea why this might be the case?

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 19.32.19.png
September 26, 2024 at 7:20 pm #16227314

Andreas W.
Supporter

First, please take note that the following known issue was causing issues with the translation of the page "Downloads". I have applied the workaround:
https://wpml.org/errata/line-breaks-are-ignored-when-using-the-advanced-translation-edior/

Then, I was able to verify that for those media items for which the text did not appear as expected, the italic markup was missing on the translation (WPML Media Translation or Media Library).

To now display those changes on the download page, you need to edit the original page, edit the gallery widget, remove the image, and add the same media again from the media library to the gallery widget.

Then apply the translation for the page again with the WPML Translation Editor.

This workflow solved the issue for "Fire Salamander, Salamandra salamandra".

markup.jpg
scan and replace.jpg
english image.jpg