Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.27 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Pacific/Easter (GMT-06:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ilyes 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Ilyes.

Author Posts
July 26, 2023 at 2:42 pm #14105077

Michael G

I would like to suggest a feature that I think is missing in String translation. It would be a great feature to be able to choose "Translation needs update" to only view strings that have translation, but were the translation for some reason needs to be updated.
Currently it is really hard to find these strings as the drop-down menu for display only allows to filter on All strings, Translated, Translation needed (which shows all string that is not translated or partially translated), Waiting on translator, Partially translated.

So would be great if you could add "Translation needs update" as an option in the first drop-down menu in string translation to filter all strings that needs updated translation.

July 26, 2023 at 6:22 pm #14106497

Ilyes
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Pacific/Easter (GMT-06:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML support team,

The "Translation needs update" could indeed be useful, I have shared your feature request with our dev team, I will keep you updated once I get further feedbacks about this.

Thank you for taking the time and helping us improve WPML 🙂

Best,

July 27, 2023 at 9:41 am #14109363

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

After further verification, I found out that this feature been requested years ago, and we unfortunately concluded that it won't be possible to implement because Strings don't have history and cannot have a history.

This kind of filter is only available for content under WPML > Translation Management.

Thank you for your comprehension,

Best,

July 27, 2023 at 9:52 am #14109435

Michael G

Hi.

That sounds strange to me. As when a string needs an update, the icon for the translation/language is changed to a circle arrow. So something must be changing for that string, as how would the icon change if not?

I am no expert in PHP, but there should be a way of "seeing" those string were obviously something changes as they display the circle arrow icon to mark that it needs update.

Am I wrong?

July 27, 2023 at 1:52 pm #14111269

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

You did share a valid point, it turns out WPML string translation had multiple changes in relation to the translation status since 5 years (last time this feature was requested).

I have escalated this to our developers and will get back to you once I get a confirmation.

Thanks!

July 28, 2023 at 12:03 pm #14116985

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you again for your feature suggestion for WPML.

After careful consideration, we've found that this particular use case is relatively rare and hasn't been requested by other users.

While we appreciate your input, and we acknowledge its potential usefulness for specific use cases, we must prioritize features with broader appeal. Nevertheless, we value your feedback and will keep your suggestion in mind for potential future updates.

I will stay subscribed to the feed I created internally and keep you updated if any changes were made regarding this decision.

We appreciate your understanding,

Thank you for using WPML 🙂 !

July 28, 2023 at 1:18 pm #14117555

Michael G

I quite don't understand the reasoning of this. If a string needs translation update, why wouldn't that be useful?? If the user can't see them, how could they update them?
There is no logic in this decision. The reason people didn't request it, is probably because they don't know that it would be possible or they aren't aware that there are situations were the translations needs to be updated.

I really think you should reconsider this. I can't be the only person who uses string translations for many scenarios and want to keep the strings updated. And as the total strings available there is massive, there is no pleasant way of knowing when strings needs a translation update.

July 28, 2023 at 3:55 pm #14118803

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello again,

I have informed our developers with your feedback,

I will get back to you once I get a reply,

Thank you for your patience 🙂 !

August 2, 2023 at 2:58 pm #14143567

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello again,

Our developers are currently discussing your request,

It would be helpful if you could give us more details on:

- What kind of strings have you changed in such case
- What is its source (is it from a theme or a plugin?)
- How do you change them?
- How often do you think you would use this feature?

---

Also, if possible, could you send us a copy of your site, if yes, I have opened a private answer for you to share it privately.

You can use a plugin like Duplicator for this purpose. Here’s a link to the plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Thank you;

August 5, 2023 at 12:18 pm #14158519

Michael G

Hi.

I have a lot of admin_texts_xxx strings were this would be useful. As everytime you save a setting and something changed that is fetched through admin text, it would be useful to filter those strings. I have about 40-50 such admin_texts_xxx and in my case some of these have up to 86 individual strings. And going through each of these admin_texts_xxx and searching individual strings to check if they needs update is a massive job...

I also have a lot of custom strings that is added through code snippets with a custom domain to be pick-upped by string translation. And if I change a code snippets that contain custom strings then in many cases I need to update their translation.

So having the ability to directly see which strings needs and translation update would be highly useful. And I don't think I am alone in using Admin texts and code snippets with translatable strings.

August 7, 2023 at 10:40 am #14162973

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello again,

Thank you for the clear and detailed answer.

This will truly help us have more insight, and I will let you know once I get any updates from our developers,

Best,