Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by egian145 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author Posts
July 27, 2022 at 10:41 pm #11754255

egian145

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I first created my site with English as the default language but later Google Analytics info made me decide to change the default language to Greek (which previously was the translation).
However, links to previously published English posts now redirect to their Greek equivalents, even though URL slugs are different.
This automatic redirection will even override any manual redirection I add via the Redirection plugin.

However, links to non-translated posts (i.e. posts written in English but without Greek translation) redirect correctly (i.e. the /en/ in the URL is added automatically)

Is there any documentation that you are following? I followed the WPML support instructions on how to change the default language.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Post hidden link redirects to hidden link instead of hidden link as it should.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

July 28, 2022 at 8:46 am #11756733

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Hi there,

I was checking your website for the first time. Clicked on:

hidden link

And it redirected me to:

hidden link

So it is working ok for me. Would you please check your website with a machine that you have never checked before?

Thanks.

July 28, 2022 at 9:46 am #11757409

egian145

Indeed, it is working for me now. However, any new redirections still wouldn't work, so I looked into it further and I think the cause is my hosting provider's CDN and server cache. It kept loading the previous results even though I did clear the cache within the WordPress environment. But they do offer a "development" mode which doesn't keep any cache while changes are made to the site. So I turned it on and I'm happy to say that now redirections are activated immediately. My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.