Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by feruzK 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas.

Author Posts
May 4, 2022 at 10:51 am #11150315

feruzK

Dear Madam, Sir,

I am writing to you regarding the download of the PO strings of the translation of the plugins and the theme of my website.

Indeed, at the time of downloading I noticed that I can download these strings of plugins or the theme on WPML -Strings Translations and I see at the top left of the page Strings Translations in the Display there is (All strings, Translation complete, Partial Translation and other options. So for example when I download strings PO folder from WooCommerce with All strings option I see 7532 word strings apparently translated, with Translation complete option I see 6172 word strings apparently translated and with Partial Translation option I see 1360 word strings apparently translated. My question is which of these options should I download strings PO afterwards to put these translations on my new website?

Thank you for your answer.

May 4, 2022 at 1:44 pm #11151777

Andreas

Hello there

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help you.

Let me explain quickly what are the statutes of strings

All Strings -> All the strings of the theme/plugin including translated and untranslated strings

Translation Complete -> Show only the strings that are translated

Translation Needed -> Show only untranslated strings

Waiting for Translator -> Shows the strings that you send for translation using a translator or service

Partial Translation -> Show the strings that the translation is not completed.

Now sometimes times themes/plugins have already been translated ( partially or not ), for example, WooCoommerce as you mentioned.

The statuses are not affecting the download of po files. So it will download all the strings no matter what you will choose on the display dropdown.

The only thing you can choose is the language you will download. ( See here: hidden link )

You can also check our documentation about that procedure here :

How to generate a PO file for a plugin or a theme

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Andreas

May 5, 2022 at 1:26 am #11155197

feruzK

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for this information.

Indeed, as you told me I found the information about the PO file for a plugin or a theme and I send you the link and I hope it's right.

https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-generate-a-po-file-for-a-plugin-or-a-theme/

1) Now, as you explained me the definition of these dropdown options and you noted that the statuses do not affect the uploading of po files, but I don't understand one thing by the All strings and Translation complete options which I should upload so that I can put this PO file on my new site without having errors?

2) Also, I tried to follow the procedure of uploading PO file for my site theme as per the documentation link of your site which I sent to you and like last time on All strings option I see 1439 word strings and when I change the option to Translation complete I see 73 word strings and among two option I can choose Translation complete and upload the PO file then import it on new site? Or should I choose the All strings option to download the PO file? If so, why could you please tell me?

3) To import the PO files on my new site what steps should I take? Could you please give me more information?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

May 5, 2022 at 11:37 am #11159055

Andreas

First of all the Link, you sent me from the documentation is correct.

Now let me clarify some things in the UI first.

Check this image :
hidden link

The section on import/export PO files has nothing to do with the above section of searching and translating strings

Now PO files are like a table. 1 column is the original string and 1 column is the translation.

When you download the PO file, it is downloading the whole table, no matter if the translation column is filled or not.

You can edit the PO file and if you wish you can fill translation to all strings or all of them.

Then you can upload the PO to your site or any other site.

In the section I show you in the image before, there is the import section.

Follow the steps :
1) Click the button “Choose file” and then select your po file

2) If you have already translations in the PO file, click on the checkbox “Also Create Translations according to the PO file

3) Then in the “Select what the strings are for” select if the PO “belongs” to a plugin or theme

4) Then you can click Submit and wait for the process to finish.

You can do this to any site with WPML you wish.

I hope the above clarifies things for you.

Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Andreas

May 7, 2022 at 10:49 am #11172783

feruzK

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the accurate information.

Again, I have another question:

1) Indeed, when I upload the theme PO file, should I check the box "Also include translations" or not? If yes, when I import these PO files on my new website I should also check the box "Select what the strings are for"? I have sent you the screenshot you sent me.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

faq-generate-po-file-create-theme.png
May 9, 2022 at 9:59 am #11179795

Andreas

Thank you for your reply

As I have replied to my previous comment you can :

2) If you have already translations in the PO file, click on the checkbox “Also Create Translations according to the PO file

3) Then in the “Select what the strings are for” select if the PO “belongs” to a plugin or theme

So to answer your question, if you have already translations in your PO file, yes you can select “Also include translations” and if the PO file belongs to the Astra theme as your screenshot, you need to select “Select what the strings are for”, “astra” as your screenshot.

Regards,
Andreas

May 10, 2022 at 10:34 am #11188425

feruzK

Hello Andreas,

Ok, very good. Thank you for your answer. Then I have another question:

As it was noted in our previous message to create and upload the PO file for the plugins I should access on Themes and plugins localization and I should select a plugin and I should scan the plugin for strings and my question for example for the French language, before scanning the plugin YITH WooCommerce Wishlist, up on language selector I should change the language to French or I should keep the default language English? I send you the screenshot.

Thank you for your answer.

Capture d’écran 2022-05-10 à 12.30.07.png
May 10, 2022 at 11:27 am #11189061

Andreas

Thank you for your reply

As I told you in a previous comment PO file is like a table. The first column contains the strings that are hardcoded in the files of the plugin. Usually, the strings are in the English language.

Having this then you can add more columns, one column for each language, and add the translation of each string.

So to answer your question, doesn’t matter which language will you have in the top bar in order to create the PO file. The PO file will contain the ENG Strings in the first column and then you can add your translation.

You can find more information for PO files on the official WordPress site :

https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/internationalization/localization/

I am also pasting again the documentation from WPML about how to create PO files you here in order to have everything together:

https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-generate-a-po-file-for-a-plugin-or-a-theme/

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Andreas

May 13, 2022 at 10:24 pm #11219737

feruzK

Hello Andreas,

Ok, very good, thank you again for your precision and support.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.