Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jackT 1 year, 4 months ago.

Author Posts
November 30, 2022 at 2:28 pm #12563745

jackT

I deleted 3 languages from the website (in developement website), plus all .mo and .po files of those languages I could find on the server. When I use this option:

You deactivated the following language(s) from your site, but there are still some existing translations saved in your database.
If you don't plan to activate this language again, you can delete the associated content from your database.....

... after refreshing the page this message pops up again. And again and again 😉

See attached screenshot.

site languages.jpg
December 2, 2022 at 11:23 am #12578017

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello!
I am sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a known issue.
When dealing with taxonomies (categories, tags, navigation menus & etc...) they cannot be deleted properly by the WPML > Languages page.
You can remove them manually, but you will have to re-add the languages then go to the taxonomy in question and remove the taxonomy terms that were translated once.

December 2, 2022 at 11:30 am #12578041

jackT

Hi George and thanks for explaining. Option 1: Is it okay to just leave it as it is? Option 2: When I add the languages again, can I keep them set to Hidden when I want to go and delete tje taxonomies etc.?

One more additional question: I'm working on this website which is in Swedish (default) and English. I don't speak Swedish so I'm adding English pages first and then let them translate into Swedish by the owner. Is this a problem for WPML? And what about the menu? When I setup the main menu in English (working in the English part of the website), I don't see how I could sychronize it with the Swedish menu. Or is this (reversed) synchronizing not possible, so from a secondary language to the default language.

December 2, 2022 at 12:22 pm #12578427

George Botsev
Supporter

It is okay to leave everything as is.
When you don't have the language, then the items will not be visible - so option 1 is just fine.
If you add the languages, yes, you can mark the language as hidden, so this is also a good workaround, but if you ask for my personal opinion - just stick to option #1 as is the most clean approach.

About your additional question, if I understood your question correctly, you have English as a second language - there should be no problem if you add second language pages first and translate to the default language the synchronization of the menu items should always be correct in the end. Of course if you have any issues, you are more than welcome to open a ticket in our support forum here - so that we can try to assist you with any problems that might arise.

December 2, 2022 at 1:22 pm #12578767

jackT

Thanks, then I'll stick to option 1 🙂

What do you mean with 'the synchronization of the menu items should always be correct in the end'?

I don't see what gets synchronized. I see to two menus side by sidem(left Swedish = wrong, and on the right English = right). What happens when I click on synchronize?

December 2, 2022 at 2:09 pm #12579067

George Botsev
Supporter

I mean that if you add x items in the menu in English then translate them and sync the menu, the menu will have the proper elements in the translation language. There should be no cause for them to differ as far as I am aware. You can run synchronization multiple times and based on what is translated - it will be synchronized with the newly available elements.

December 2, 2022 at 3:37 pm #12579655

jackT

Thanks George for explaining 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.