Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
January 4, 2023 at 9:01 pm #12754417

Camilo

When trying to translate the description of an add-on (from https://woocommerce.com/products/product-add-ons/) that has bold text using in it, WPML is not detecting the bold tags so I can't apply them with the standard Alt+1.

Also, as soon as I get to that field, I see the "]]>" characters at the end, which is weird.

The real problem is that this field won't save, no matter what the content on the translation I input.

To clarify, when I add anything on the translation field and I click on the green checkmark or do Ctrl+Enter, nothing happens and the field never saves, so I can't translate this content.

Note:
I've always had the tags in there and they used to work as expected. But now that I needed to modify the description content, it's no longer working. I'm suspecting an update broke this (can't know if WPML or WC or WC Add-on).

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.59.16.png
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.58.44.png
Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.56.22.png
January 5, 2023 at 3:57 am #12755643

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

I do not see that issue on my demo site, here are some screenshots
hidden link
hidden link

According to your screenshots, I also see the strong HTML tag is applied to the content on the Original language side which is not correct. Can you please follow some steps below to troubleshoot the issue and let me know if it helps?

1. Enable minimal environment:
- Deactivate all plugins except WPML, WooCommerce, WooCommerce Product Addons plugins
- Switch to a standard theme of WordPress (2022)
❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: 
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

2. Make sure all necessary plugins are up to date.

I also need more information on your site by sharing the debug info. If you don’t know how to share the debug info, please follow this article
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/
Your next reply is enabled to share the debug info.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

January 11, 2023 at 2:26 pm #12796151

Camilo

Hi Long,

I've done as you said and disabled almost all plugins and the result was the same. I did have an interesting finding:

When I add only 1 strong tag, it works as expected (see attached image)

When I add the second strong tag:
- The field won't show up in the advanced translator editor, I need to find it using the search function
- Related to the above, it now has the "plugin settings" yellow tag
- It doesn't break the paragraph by sentences
- The text is bold on the left column
- The translation won't save

Can you try adding a second strong tag on your end and see if you get the same results?

I've also added the debug information.

Thanks,

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.18.04.png
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.19.14.png
January 12, 2023 at 3:50 am #12800235

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I've tried to add 2 strong tags to the addon field description and still see it works correctly, please check screenshots below
hidden link
hidden link

and try to use this one

In publishing and graphic design, Lorem ipsum <strong>is a placeholder text</strong> commonly used to demonstrate the visual form of <strong>a document or a typeface</strong> without relying on meaningful content. Lorem ipsum may be used as a placeholder before final copy is available.

or try to remove your paragraph and add this again to check the issue. If it still does not work, please share your paragraph in the next reply, I will test to translate it on my demo site.

Thanks

January 18, 2023 at 5:23 pm #12845287

Camilo

Hi Long, I tried what you suggested and no luck. Even when using just one tag from your text, I'm getting the issue of not applying with alt+1 but I can save the translation. If there are two tags, it simply won't work.

I even tested two different tags, and <u>, and again the same result.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 12.13.21.png
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 12.16.44.png
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 12.17.34.png
January 19, 2023 at 2:47 am #12847301

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I can replicate the issue on my end. It looks like the issue happens when you search for a keyword, I see the context is different when using the search form. Please check this screenshot hidden link

Can you please translate the product without using the search and let me know if it works?

Thanks

January 19, 2023 at 3:35 pm #12852381

Camilo

Hi Long,

The issue is that the field is not showing it. I can only find it with search. Please see the attached images. On your image, when you search, you see the field twice, when I search I only get the plugin-settings one.

I also tested switching back to only one tag and it is still only showing up on search, so it seems there might be two separate issues:

1. The plugin-settings field reading the internal tags incorrectly
2. The non plugin-settings field not showing up for translation

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.28.40.png
Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.28.59.png
Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.29.08.png
Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 10.33.22.png
January 25, 2023 at 12:50 am #12885325

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I can not know the settings in the respective plugins you have on your site. Therefore, to check if it is a compatibility issue, please install the WooCommerce Product Addons plugin on the test site I'm providing here.
hidden link
With this link, you'll be directly logged in.
Please install the WooCommerce Product Addons plugin and see if the issue is replicable on a clean WordPress installation. Please configures WPML, WooCommerce, and WooCommerce Product Addons as they are configured on your site (just the basic configurations needed to replicate the issue are enough). Please also make sure that you are installing the latest version of the plugin. When everything is finished, and you can replicate the problem, please let me know.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] Bold text not detected by WPML so I can't save translation’ is closed to new replies.