Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 31, 2023 at 2:56 pm #14128427

gaborN-2

I am trying to: reactivate WPML after migrating the site from local (PHP 8.0) to a server (PHP 8.1). The plugin got deactivated by itself after migration.

I expected to see: a working site

Instead, I got: activation of WPML doesn't work. The error I get is the following:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Undefined constant "WPML_PLUGIN_BASENAME" in /var/www/_domain_/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/menu/languages.php:7

August 1, 2023 at 10:35 pm #14138055

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Can you please let me know if this issue happens even when only the WPML plugins are active and you are using a default WordPress theme?

Please try the following steps so that we would test for a compatibility-related issue:

- create a full website backup

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons

- check if the issue is happening again

- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:
- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated

- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen

- try to recreate the issue now

If you have the chance, it would be best to do this in a staging (testing) environment.

Please let me know how that goes and if following any of these steps solved your issue or brought any change.

I will be waiting for your response.

PS: Also, please make sure that you are using the very latest versions of the WPML plugin and WPML add-ons.

Mihai Apetrei

August 2, 2023 at 6:38 am #14139157

gaborN-2

Hi Mihai,
Downgrading the PHP to ver. 8.0 solved every issue we had, including the activation of WPML, so my question remains: is WPML fully compatible with PHP 8.1?
Ben

August 3, 2023 at 12:56 pm #14149753

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi Ben.

I want to also double check with some of my colleagues so that I will give you an 100% accurate response.

It seems that there are still some fixes that are being worked on as we speak so I wouldn't say that WPML is 100% compatible with 8.1 at this exact moment. It's close to 100%.

Mihai

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.