Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - -
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 4 days, 23 hours ago.

Assisted by: Itamar.

Author Posts
September 21, 2024 at 7:45 am #16204492

piaP-6

Background of the issue:
I want to speed up my WooCommerce store, hidden link, which has become slower after installing multiple languages. I am considering removing WPML Media and untranslated strings. However, I think more is needed.

I have followed multiple forum posts and documentations and have done several optimizations including using PHP 8.3.10, setting PHP memory limit to 1024M, using Litespeed cache, updating all plugins, themes, and WordPress, using MariaDB v. 11.4.3, using pure SSL (without helper plugin), clearing out big and unnecessary autoloaded options (the remaining is primary WPML), installing and running 'Index WP MySQL For Speed' plugin, disabling 'display as translated' (Fallback mode), disabling 'Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality', pressing 'Cleanup and optimize string tables' and 'Clear invalid strings' options, and turning off 'Track where strings appear on the site'.

Symptoms:
The WooCommerce store has become slower after installing multiple languages.

Questions:
Should I remove WPML Media to speed up my site?
How can I identify and remove untranslated strings and strings that are not needed?
How much difference would these changes make in terms of site speed?
What else can I do? I think more is needed?

September 24, 2024 at 7:15 am #16212630

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

I'm going to help you while a supporter takes you case.

1) Do not use PHP 8.3 because that version is still in beta in WordPress and will probably slow your site down since it's likely many of your plugins will start creating deprecation notifications or similar. please use 8.1 at most for now unless you're sure that all the plugins work nicely with 8.2, but do not go over that for now.

2) Monitor the logs with a plugin like "Query Monitor" to see if there are too many queries, if they are duplicate and slow.

3) Go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > delete unused strings

------------

- WPML Media should not make any change to your performance, however if you're not really translating images (using different images for specific images or media by languages) then you can safely uninstall it anyways because it's likely you won't be using it.

- Deleting untranslated strings could help make the DB lighter

It's likely the problem is on the hosting side (resources or DB call restrictions) but that depends on the hosting and plan you use, since more languages means that your site will have more pages in the DB, more content in general and there may be a few more queries happening more often than before.

However, try what i mentioned and let us know what happened. please send us a screenshot of the query results.

September 24, 2024 at 9:33 am #16213407

piaP-6

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I have downgraded to PHP 8.1.
2. I have done some research with Query Monitor. See attached files. The screenshots is just some example from two different pages. Please let me know if you need more.
3. I do not see that setting under troubleshooting?

How can I more systematically delete untranslated and unused strings?

Slow WPML queries.png
Some duplicate WPML queries.png
More slow WPML queries.png
Deprecates.png
September 24, 2024 at 5:41 pm #16216924

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I'll continue to help you with this issue.

Thanks for the screenshots. I'm consulting our second-tier supporters about this.

My colleague referred to the "Clean and optimize string tables" and "Clear invalid strings" options in the troubleshooting section. Please see the attached screenshot. You can also delete unused strings from WPML -> Strings Translation. You can read about it here.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#how-to-delete-a-string

Please try it and see if it helps.

Please let me know if you have observed this problem on the admin or front-end pages.
Can you please send me the links to those pages?

I must say that I've just navigated through pages and products on your site, and everything was loading quickly. I don't experience a performance issue.

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me. I'm enabling a private message for the following reply.

Privacy and Security Policy
We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/
**IMPORTANT**
- - Please backup the site files and database before providing us access. --
-- If you have a staging site where the problem can be reproduced, it is better to share access to the staging site.--

Regards,
Itamar.

2024-09-24_20-30-46.jpg
September 25, 2024 at 7:50 am #16218606

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

In addition to the above, please allow us to take a copy of your site. For this, I must install a plugin like Duplicator or All In One Migration. Please let me know if you agree.

A private message is enabled for the following reply.

Thanks,
Itamar.