Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
September 18, 2023 at 12:38 pm #14411885

zenC

I am trying to: Stop the name of our organization from being translated, by using the glossary

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Screenshot

I expected to see: the English name staying the same

Instead, I got: A German translation for it

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 14.30.14.png
September 19, 2023 at 8:39 am #14417347

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

I understand the issue you're having. Could you please try the following and check if that helps to solve the issue?

- Update the WPML and its add-ons to their latest version
- Remove the Glossary term and re-add it.
- Create a fresh page and include the text designated as a Glossary Term.
- Save the page and try to translate it. In the Translation editor, verify whether the Glossary term has been added correctly.

If it works, then pleasee make a small change on the page where you're having the issue and then try to retranslate the page. I hope it will help.

Please let me know the update. I will be happy to help if you need further assistance in this matter.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

September 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm #14423237

zenC

Hello Prosenjit,

thank you for your answer.
I followed all the steps you described and when creating a new page everything works out fine.
I also tried to make a small change on the issue page, but that did not help.
When i on the other hand make a small change to the sentence, that has the problem, it helps.
When i translate a sentence, that has not been translated in the past, it also works.

It seems to me, that on sentences that have been translated before the term was created, the ATE does not use the glossary term.

I confirmed that by
-> Creating a new site with a sentence, that contains a special name
-> translating the sentence
-> adding the special name to the glossary term
-> retranslating the sentence
--> ATE does not use the term

September 20, 2023 at 6:27 am #14426445

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hello There,
Thank you for the updates.

Please be informed that Glossary terms are applied only to NEW translations and not to pages/posts that have already been translated. As you added the Glossary term after the pages were translated, this is why it isn't automatically applied to those previously translated pages/posts.

For existing translations, you need to open the translation editor and add changes manually. Please check the screenshot below. Apart from that, I'm afraid, there is no other way for now.

- hidden link

However, we have plans to improve the Glossary feature more and our team is actively working on it. Hopefully, the feature to apply Glossaries to existing translations will be available in future versions of the plugin.

I hope you can understand. Please let me know if there is anything else you need help. I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

September 20, 2023 at 8:20 am #14427463

zenC

Hi,
thank you for your answer.
I understand, that the plugin does not support the feature right now.
Is there maybe a way to delete existing translations?

September 21, 2023 at 4:13 am #14434309

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
Thank you for understanding the matter.

There is definitely a way to delete translations. To understand the process, please follow the steps mentioned here: https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-delete-the-translation-of-a-page/

If there is anything else you need help, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

September 21, 2023 at 11:45 am #14438199

zenC

Hi,

thanks for your answer.
So i understand correctly from the article, that there is no way to delete anything from the translation memory?
Even when i delete the page and retranslate it, it will not use the glossary terms?

September 22, 2023 at 4:44 am #14443237

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hello There,

You've got it right! When you manually or automatically translate a word or phrase, the translation memory stores it. If you use that word or sentence anywhere else on your site, the translation memory will automatically apply the saved translation, saving you both effort and any automatic translation credits. There is currently no possible way to remove anything from the Translation memory.

That being said, if you decide to retranslate the page, the translation memory will load the previously saved translation. As a result, that particular word will be displayed as it was in the prior translation. I hope you can understand.

For the existing translation, it will be better if you manually edit the translation. Rest assured that the Glossary term will be applied properly to all new translations.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

September 22, 2023 at 7:35 am #14443973

zenC

Alright. Thank you for explaining the situation to me!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.