Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing a '400 bad request, request header or cookie too large, nginx' error after opening 4-6 pages in the WordPress admin. This issue started after installing WPML and persists until cookies are cleared, but reappears upon further navigation.
Solution:
We recommend checking if this issue occurs across different browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Although we couldn't find a similar case in our records, we suggest following the steps in these articles to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it might be due to an outdated solution or a different underlying problem. We highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.44 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
July 1, 2024 at 2:59 pm #15869472

federicoF-28

Hi Bigul,

I increased the memory to 256.

Before you make me do any additional work, can you please check the "400 bad request, request header or cookie too large, nginx" issue?

I get the error message after opening 4-6 pages (any page) in the wordpress admin. The issue started after downloading WPML. I'm pretty sure it's a standard issue with potentially standard solutions.

Can you please check? Otherwise, can you please confirm that the error message is an absolutely unusual issue with WPML?

For full context: the issue goes away after I clear the cookies in the browser. However, it comes back again as soon as I open 4-6 pages (any page) in the wordpress admin. It looks like something in WPML is adding some massive cookie or similar?

Thanks
Federico

15868700-Screenshot_2024_06_24_at_6.28.52_PM.png
July 1, 2024 at 3:17 pm #15869538

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hi Federico,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

The 400 bad request, request header or cookie too large issue happens mostly related to the conflict with browser or nginx settings. Does it occur in different browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari ....?

I search for similar cases in our forum and also in our backend records. But unable to find a related case exactly. Please check the following URL.

hidden link

Therefore one request. Please try the workaround suggested in the following articles and make sure the issue exists or not.

hidden link

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.