Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.42 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 -
- 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
December 30, 2022 at 7:13 pm #12733969

Pieter

Working on behalf of a client with Glossary and ATE.

I have added many items to Glossary and am trying to translate products (WooCommerce), but issues keep popping up.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the way the Glossary is supposed to work with the ATE? Let me illustrate with a few examples.

screenshot 20221230-Image-atc8j.png:
The word Custom has been added to Glossary (as well as custom), but ATE decides that it is better to use Individuelle instead?!
Also same screenshot, you can see right top that Glossary suggests a translation, but ATE decides to ignore that and cut the suggestion off at the underscore (_).

screenshot 20221230-Advanced+Translation+Editor+-+WPML-6jbvd.png:
The top half I added myself manually and got tired quickly. I simply don't understand why different Glossary entries are marked for the different entries? There is no consistency at all, seems more like a lottery than anything else.
Also as per the writing on the screenshot, I added all colours with a capital and with an underscore (Grey and _grey) and gave them the desired translations, but nothing comes out of the ATE/Glossary.

screenshot 20221230-Advanced+Translation+Editor+-+WPML-cm8ne.png:
As per the text: Hoodie has been added to Glossary as Hoodie, Custom Hoodie has been added too as Custom Hoodie and Custom-Hoodie has been added too and translated to Custom-Hoodie. Why does the ATE want to push Kapuzenpulli instead of adhering to the Glossary entry/ies?!

Furthermore the UI of the Glossary is absolutely HORRIBLE to work with.
- pagination is not remembered
- pagination only at bottom
- not possible to select more items per page (meaning after editing a term on page x, the Glossary returns to page 1)
- editing a term in source language, there is no enter/submit button; after giving enter overlay doesn't go away and one has to hope that glossary has been updated
- now 6 pages into Glossary the only way to get to page 5 is to scroll down, click 6, wait for the page refresh, then go to 5. And if I want to change 10 entries on page 5, I have to do that for every 10 entries and their translations (so 20 times in total).

Has anyone done any usability studies at all? Or where they simply ignored, just like the ATE ignores the Glossary?

Happy New Year!
Pieter

20221230-Advanced+Translation+Editor+-+WPML-cm8ne.png
20221230-Advanced+Translation+Editor+-+WPML-6jbvd.png
20221230-Image-atc8j.png
January 2, 2023 at 9:20 am #12738703

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hi Pieter,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

This may be a compatibility issue and needs further checking. So a couple of requests to track this.

1) Please let us know the exact steps to reproduce the issue on your site

2) Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup{mandatroy}. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Refer to the following links for more details about our private information-sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 2, 2023 at 11:58 am #12739563

Pieter

Bigul,

Instead of a default reply, please read the message again and have a look at the screenshots that I sent along.

When opening the ticket I already ticked the option that I would not be able to give login info. That has not changed so to ask me now for it is pointless and irritating.

It has nothing to do with compatibility and everything with how the Glossary functions. Both Glossary and ATE are on WPML's servers so to even suggest compatibility, is ridiculous imo!

The WPML Forum is bursting with posts about the less than optimal functioning of the Glossary and my entry title "feedback glossary..." is exactly that!

If you cannot or don't want to reply to my points, then that is fine. Will suggest to client to stop using the Glossary then as it clearly needs more development to become something resembling functional.

January 2, 2023 at 4:27 pm #12740975

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hi Pieter,

Thank you for your feedback. For your kind information, I have consulted with our team about this before replying to you. As per the first reply you are currently facing a few issues with ATE Glossary. This needs further debugging. That is why requested the exact steps to reproduce the issue and credentials to access the site's backend. Because it will help us a lot in internal communication and serve you better.

We hope you have gone through our documentation about ATE Glossary - https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/how-to-create-and-manage-glossary-entries/#how-the-glossary-works

We can discuss the issues one by one. It will help to avoid talking about multiple problems in a single thread/ticket. First, we can check about the following case.

hidden link

From the screenshot, there are two terms that are in the glossary. grey and custom soccer hoodie. The glossary is a suggestion and there are two terms here, so that means that we can see a suggestion for the translation of each of the elements. That cannot be translated automatically because word translation could change according to the context.

Please note that ATE glossary will consider custom hoodie or custom_hoodie or custom-hoodie as totally different elements. As well as Custom Hoodie or custom hoodie or Custom hoodie.

Please let check it and let us know your feedback. Thank you for your understanding.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] feedback: Glossary is behaving erratic with ATE’ is closed to new replies.