Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.05 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sveinnS 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
January 5, 2023 at 4:23 pm #12759871

sveinnS

I'm trying to translate Category in Taxonomy in WPML. It does not load at all.

20230105-categoryfix01.png
January 5, 2023 at 4:40 pm #12760193

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Could you please try to run the site in a minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

1) Disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons.

2) If the issue disappears please start reactivating the plugins one by one, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

3) Also, if this did not clarify the cause of the issue please change to the Politics Plus Parent Theme or even to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related, if possible.

If you are unable to run those tests, please let me know.

Best regards
Andreas

January 6, 2023 at 9:08 am #12763387

sveinnS

Hello,

I followed 1st, 2nd and the 3rd step. Same, same.

Brgrds
SO

January 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm #12765799

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

This means, the issue even persists if you run the site only with WPML on a default theme like Twenty Twenty One?

Please take a backup of your site and try to run the WPML troubleshooting options at WPML > Support > Troubleshooting:

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-troubleshooting-options/

I would suggest you try the first option in order to sync taxonomies for posts.

Then also try:

- Clear the Cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Fix WPML table collation

If this will still not fix the issue I will enable the private reply form in my next reply, so that you can provide me admin access to the site for further investigation.

Best regards
Andreas

January 10, 2023 at 1:56 pm #12785933

sveinnS

Hi
Took long time to take the copy.
Could not find any cache, no ghost entries as we are just starting using WPML on this site. Same with Fix eliment_type and WPML talble collation.
We are ready to give you an admin access. Where shall we send it? Is it save here?
Brgrds
Sveinn Oskar

January 10, 2023 at 3:52 pm #12786839

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “All In One WP Migration” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

January 10, 2023 at 4:50 pm #12787157

sveinnS

Hi
By registering you as admin-WPMLuser I need some email address.
Brgrds
SO

January 10, 2023 at 8:14 pm #12788815

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My e-mail is andreas.w@onthegosystems.com

It can be found here:

https://wpml.org/forums/users/andreas-w/

The private reply form is enabled again.

Best regards
Andreas

January 11, 2023 at 4:10 pm #12797259

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

There are JS errors on your site, which could be caused by your theme.

Would you be able to test if those errors disappear if you switch to a theme like Twenty Twenty-One?

If you are unable to run such kind of test, let me know and I will take a copy of the site for testing.

Further, it shows Mixed Content Errors that occur when you uploaded media to the server by HTTP and then serve them over HTTPS.
(which means there likely was not SSL certificate when uploading those files in the first place - for example, developed on localhost)

You should search and replace the file paths inside the database and change them from http:// to https://
You can use a plugin like this one for this purpose, but please make sure to first make a complete backup of your database.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

Best regards
Andreas

js errors.png
January 12, 2023 at 9:27 am #12802423

sveinnS

Hi,
My service provider hidden link did understand your comment refer to the http vs https. They ran some algorithm to fix it as they could at their side. I tried the Twenty Twenty One and took a look at the Taxanomy-Flokkar (Categories) but same, same still there.

Just to tell you: I saw this problem not few days ago but suddenly this appeared after I got new WP update. It might have had an affect. I'm not sure but It worked before in this Theme, just few days ago.

I have not used the plugin you just sent as I want you to take a look before I do that. Please share your thoughts on this above.

Brgrds
SO

January 12, 2023 at 9:44 am #12802627

sveinnS

Hi again,
Please take a look at this. Something is wrong in this. We might be able just to delete this and make a new one. Pls share your thoughts as this might be closer to us than we think.
Brgrds
SO

20230112-fixproblem-Taxanomy.jpg
January 12, 2023 at 2:29 pm #12806093

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Yes, could you please recreate this category and delete the old one?

In case this will not solve the issue, I will take a copy of the site for further investigation.

Best regards
Andreas

January 13, 2023 at 10:15 pm #12816399

sveinnS

Hi,
I have no clue how to delete this category, no option to do so.
This seems to have happen as I did some translation with WPML Taxanomy.
Idea?
Brgrds
SO

January 14, 2023 at 3:44 pm #12818243

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Honestly, I was wrong about this category - if it is the WordPress default category, then it is expected that you cannot delete it.

What I see on WPML > Taxonomy Translation is a JavaScript Error on the Browser Console and it occurs only if WPML String Translation is active.

The error mentions "flag" so I am suggesting we do have to find a string on String Translation that relates to post categories and has no flag assigned - and I found a few, deleted them, and the issue was solved.

I honestly really do not know why this occurred, but I saw some strange things on String Translation too, like for example the default category slug was assigned to Albanian.

The issue should be solved now.

Best regards
Andreas

issues.png
category slugs.png
January 15, 2023 at 12:21 pm #12821287
sveinnS

Category should show as "flokkar" or "Efnisflokkur"

New threads created by Andreas W. and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-category-archive-title-prefix-not-showing-as-translated/

20230115-efnisflokkur.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.