Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
On the translated pages in English, the links are pointing to the original Dutch pages instead of the translated English pages.

Solution:
You need to translate the page and finish the translation job.
- Go to WPML->Translation Management-> Send the page for translation and then take the translation job.
- Translate 100% and save.

Relevant Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tomS-45 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
April 16, 2020 at 9:35 am #5920745

tomS-45

Hi WPML support team,

Since a week ago I started using WPML to enter all translations of my site (translation from Dutch to English).
Performed this translation with the ATE Advanced Translation Editor which worked well.

At this moment I encounter 2 problems in my multi-language website:

1. Problem 1:
When I want to change the translation of a Page, Post, Event, etc. now an old-fashioned translation editor is used. I guess this is the Classic Translation Editor.
For some bizar reason the Advanced Translation Editor is not used anymore.
In the WP admin menu "WPML > Settings" in the section "How translate Posts and Pages" the setting for new content has always been and is still "Use the Advanced Translation Editor of WPML".
I want to further update these translations with the same Advanced Translation Editor. How?

2. Problem 2:
On the translated pages in English the links are pointing to the original Dutch pages instead of to the translated English pages.
I have run the Link Translation tool (WP admin menu "WPML > Settings > Translate Links") but after that still the links on the English pages point to the original Dutch pages.
What is going wrong here? Why do these links not get translated correctly automatically?
Example of this problem: on the English home page hidden link there are 3 places where the word "Highway2Freelance Bootcamp" links, currently incorrectly to the Dutch page hidden link, instead this should link to the English page hidden link

I believe it's important to mention that I made following change because possibly connected with one or both of above problems:
In the WP admin menu "Settings > General" I have made following changes on April 13 2020 around 0:07 AM CET time (because this was requested in my WP Dashboard)
- WordPress address (URL): changed from "hidden link" to "hidden link"
- Side address (URL): changed from "hidden link" to "hidden link"

In the WP admin menu "WPML > Support" I notice there is an error log in the section Advanced Translation Editor:
- Date: April 13 2020 4:06:13 PM
- Event: AMS Server Communication
- Description: Active record record not found: Couldn't find Translator with [WHERE `translators_websites`.`website_id` = ? AND `translators`.`email` = ?]
- Extra Data: {"errorData":{"status":404,"title":"Active record record not found","detail":"Couldn't find Translator with [WHERE `translators_websites`.`website_id` = ? AND `translators`.`email` = ?]"}}

Looking forward to your solution.

Kind regards,
Tom Serroels

April 16, 2020 at 11:14 am #5921733

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

as mentioned in the original ticket, in this newly open ticket we will investigate the problem with Classic and Advanced editor.

1) Can you please confirm these pages were originally translated using Advanced translation editor?

2) In WPML → Settings page >How to translate posts and pages section, there is an option which Editor to use for content created with CTE editor. You can change it to ATE, but some translation might be lost. Please check the attached screenshot.

Please check: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/

Let me know how it goes and if my reply helped you.

Thanks and regards.
Drazen

wpml-settings-translation-editor-selection.png
April 16, 2020 at 12:20 pm #5922349

tomS-45

Hi Drazen,

1) Yes, I confirm and I am 100% sure that all pages were originally translated using the Advanced translation editor.
When installing the WPML plugin the setting on page "WPML → Settings" under section "New content" was "Use WPML's Advanced Translation Editor".
This setting has never been changed.

2) When installing the WPML plugin the setting on page "WPML → Settings" under section "Content that was created with WPML's Classic Translation Editor" was "Use WPML's Classic Translation Editor".
This setting has never been changed.
I believe this setting is not relevant for my website because I'm sure that no translation has been done using the Classic Translation Editor.
Based on your suggestion I have now changed it to "Switch to using the Advanced Translation Editor (old translations may be unusable)".
Result after this change: still the Classic Translation Editor is used instead of the Advanced Translation Editor ...

Could it be that there is a link with the error log in the WP admin page "WPML > Support" in the section Advanced Translation Editor?
- Date: April 13 2020 4:06:13 PM
- Event: AMS Server Communication
- Description: Active record record not found: Couldn't find Translator with [WHERE `translators_websites`.`website_id` = ? AND `translators`.`email` = ?]
- Extra Data: {"errorData":{"status":404,"title":"Active record record not found","detail":"Couldn't find Translator with [WHERE `translators_websites`.`website_id` = ? AND `translators`.`email` = ?]"}}

And could this have been caused by the following change?
In the WP admin page "Settings > General" I have made following changes on April 13 2020 around 0:07 AM CET time (because this was requested in my WP Dashboard)
- WordPress address (URL): changed from "hidden link" to "hidden link"
- Side address (URL): changed from "hidden link" to "hidden link"

Kind regards,
Tom

WPML Still CTE.jpg
WPML ATE Error log.jpg
WPML settings.jpg
April 16, 2020 at 1:51 pm #5923743

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I understand, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that error could have been caused by URL changes, but that happened on April 13, 2020, and I don't see any new errors. I have checked our system and it seems correct version of website is registered in our system, the HTTPS.

But we have a similar known issue that might affected you when ATE was not working, can you please do one more test:

If a page was opened with Classic Translation Editor then you have to create a new translation job in order to open it in ATE.

- Go to WPML->Translation Management-> Send the page for translation and then take the translation job and see if it opens in the ATE.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Drazen

April 16, 2020 at 3:52 pm #5925177

tomS-45

My issue is resolved now.
Thank you so much for your good support!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.