Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is trying to create an English post without having a French copy of it. However, the English post is also appearing on the French version of the website due to the current translation settings.

Solution:
We recommend changing the translation preference for the 'Promotions' post type. Here's how you can do it:
1. Navigate to WPML → Settings → Post Type Translation.
2. Set the Translation preference for the 'Promotions' post type to 'Translatable - only show translated items'.
This will ensure that only posts that have been translated into French will appear on the French version of the website.

If this solution doesn't look relevant, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
November 15, 2023 at 2:00 pm #14809527

Ryan

I am trying to:
Create a English post and not have a French copy of it.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link (English) hidden link (French)

I expected to see:
Only the English post linked above.

Instead, I got:
The English post and the French post. The French post is displaying/being linked on pages in the French copy of the website and showing English content. For posts like this where there is not any French content, we do not want a French post to be created.

November 16, 2023 at 12:24 pm #14826381

Ryan

I wanted to check and see if there was an update on this? We have English promotion posts displaying on the French website and need to get those removed/resolve the issue we are seeing. Thanks.

November 16, 2023 at 1:42 pm #14827365

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

I understand the issue you're having and will try my best to assist you in this matter.

From the WPML Debug Info, I can see that the translation preference for the "Promotions" post type is set to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language". This setting implies that in the absence of a translation, the default contents will appear as a translation. Since the post is not translated into French, This is the reason the English content appears on the French language page as a fallback.

To solve the issue, please go to the "WPML → Settings ↳ Post Type Translation" section and set the Translation preference for the "Promotions" post type to "Translatable - only show translated items".

Feel free to let me know if you need further assistance in this matter. I will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

November 16, 2023 at 7:35 pm #14830397

Ryan

Thanks Prosenjit. That fixed things.

I appreciate the help.

Ryan confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-11-16 19:35:10.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.