Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Display only categories on the shop page in the second language.
Solution:
Go to WPML > String Translation > Search for the value "subcategories" and copy it to the second language.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by emilN-4 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
April 5, 2023 at 9:19 am #13408013

emilN-4

I am trying to:
Display the shop page properly with all 5 major categories as in all the other language versions of the shop page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:
the attached result that can be seen only in the admin UX panel. Or as it is in any of the other languages:

It did not display the categories when I had all of them created with all duplicate products. Then I deleted all of them but the issues still remains and even though there are now 0 pr. categories and products, it still displays some other products. I even did recount terms which usually helps (as you see we have the website in 10 languages successfully translated). Now it should display the basic language shop page (BG) but it does not do that either.

Instead, I got:
Random products from other languages displayed.
Please keep all links and screenshots private.

April 6, 2023 at 3:21 am #13415509

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Emil,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

Checking the debug log, I see the products post type and product category taxonomy are set to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" in WPML > Settings. Please set their translation to "Translatable - only show translated items" and check this issue again.

Please read more in the documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

I've also removed the attached screenshot and links from your post.

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks

April 6, 2023 at 8:29 am #13417245

emilN-4

Hi again! Thank you but that setting is correct and I don't want to change that since I want the website to show the not translated products at least in BG language. The issues is that I can't set this just for the HR but I have to do that for the whole WPML and all language translations / products. Also it does no problem to any other language. I am ready to give you admin access to solve that.

Still I would test that: hidden link and hidden link

and the result is empty product shop which is correct for that setting: hidden link

I return back the previous setting that should display the top 5 product categories in BG (default) language and again the same issue: hidden link

Please login and solve that. There is an account for you, just request the credentials in the hidden way please and I will provide them.

April 6, 2023 at 9:01 am #13417869

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: 
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

April 7, 2023 at 3:52 am #13424663

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

The option to display product categories on the shop page is customized in Appearance > Customize > WooCommerce > Product Catalog > Shop page display: Show Categories (option value "subcategories").

Then I go to WPML > String Translation > Search for the value "subcategories" and copy it to the Croatian language. Now you can see the categories display on the shop page in the Croatian language as well.

Thanks

April 7, 2023 at 6:45 am #13425061

emilN-4

Wow! It looks much better now! Bravo! What was the reason that this happened and how did this translation (or why?) solve that? I see that none of the other languages contain such translations of it: hidden link
So I start duplicating the products then...

April 7, 2023 at 9:14 am #13426049

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

It is possible that there is no translation category and product in the Croatian language. After translating the option value "subcategories" then the fallback categories display as well in the Croatian language.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

April 7, 2023 at 9:52 am #13426231
emilN-4

"After translating the option value "subcategories" then the fallback categories display as well in the Croatian language." - yes but why this solved the problem? I can't get it?

Thanks!

I have another issue. When you are on the EN version of any product page and you change the currency, the page does not refresh with the new currency value. Even if I refresh it by myself, it does not show the needed value. Only after I go to the shopping cart, it shows the amount in the other currence. Please solve that since you have admin acccess. Here is a link for testing and seeing the issue (please hide it):
hidden link

New threads created by Long Nguyen and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-hr-shop-page-displays-other-language-products-and-no-troubleshooting-helped/

April 9, 2023 at 3:27 pm #13434357

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I'm not sure why it does not work with a specific language on your site but I found a way to fix the issue. You can try to enable a minimal environment as below to find the culprit.
- deactivate all plugins except WPML, WooCommerce and their addon plugins
- switch to a standard theme of WordPress
❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌

Regarding the second issue, we can handle one issue per ticket only. If you have another issue/question, please create a new ticket for that. I will split the second issue into another ticket.

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.