Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing a 500 internal server error on the English version of their website.
Solution:
1. We recommended ensuring that the client is using the latest versions of their theme and plugins.
2. We advised the client to re-save Permalinks by navigating to Settings >> Permalinks and clicking the Save Changes button.
3. We suggested clearing all types of cache from the site/server to see if the issue would be resolved.
4. If the problem persisted, we provided a link to an errata page that might offer a workaround: https://wpml.org/errata/htaccess-is-rewritten-with-language-folder/

Please note that the solution provided might be irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket with us.

100% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.99 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author Posts
March 4, 2024 at 4:08 pm #15371137

darioB-20

I am trying to: publish my site, is ready but on english side there is a 500 internal server error

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: every page of the english side --> bortoletti.com - bortoletti.com/en

I expected to see: that everything works fine without error

Instead, I got: check everything inside my site but error is always there

Screenshot 2024-03-04 095319.png
March 4, 2024 at 4:37 pm #15371308

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Could you please follow the below steps and let me know how it goes:

1. Please make sure you are using the latest version of the theme and plugins on your site.

2. Please try to re-save Permalinks from the Settings >> Permalinks page by pressing the Save Changes button.

3. Please clear all sorts of cache from your site/server and see if this resolves your issue.

4. If the issue still persists, please try to follow the workaround from this errata and see if this resolves your issue: https://wpml.org/errata/htaccess-is-rewritten-with-language-folder/

Thank you

March 5, 2024 at 8:54 am #15373095

darioB-20

Hi,

Thank you for your kindly help.

I try everything you wrote but problem still remain on english side.
Could you please check ourself which could be the problem on my site?

Please let me know, I will create you an user ID to access and look inside which could be the problem.

March 5, 2024 at 12:10 pm #15374370

Noman
Supporter

Thanks for trying the above steps. To take a closer look at this issue, please provide temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP Login info) to your site (preferably staging site), so that I can look into your setup and debug the issue.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to deactivate and reactivate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Thank you

March 6, 2024 at 8:23 am #15377642

darioB-20

Actually I disable the english language on menu but the plugin is still active.

I need an email to create an user, can I use something like info@wpml.org?

Regarding the issue I think is something on the connection from italian to english contents, cause the issue appear when I call any contents on english version. In my opinion you need only the WP credentials, but I give you the last words.

Thank you,

March 6, 2024 at 8:24 am #15377645

darioB-20

On your request, give me again please the possibility to put WP and FTP credentials as before.

Thank you!

March 6, 2024 at 12:33 pm #15379227

Noman
Supporter

Yes, you can use any email address to create a temporary user to debug this issue.

I’ve enabled a private input box for your next reply to share the login details securely.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

Thank you

March 6, 2024 at 5:59 pm #15381193

Noman
Supporter

Thanks for sharing the login details. I just followed the same steps:

- Added the suggested code in functions.php file of your theme: https://wpml.org/errata/htaccess-is-rewritten-with-language-folder/

- Re-saved Permalinks from the Settings >> permalinks page and it seems to be working correctly now. Could you please check and confirm?

Thank you for your cooperation

March 7, 2024 at 8:57 am #15382789

darioB-20

We try to navigate the site, everything works fine.
Thank you very much for your help, very kind from you.

Which was the reason of the problem at the end?

Thank you very much again Noman.
Best Regards,

March 14, 2024 at 1:30 pm #15410174

Noman
Supporter

Reason is probably something has modified htaccess file and permalinks. So after flushing the permalinks by re-saving them solved the problem.

I also used the code and these steps to solve the issue:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/500-internal-server-error-on-english-side-of-my-website/#post-15381193

Thanks

darioB-20 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-07 08:57:48.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.