Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Hi there!

When i updated ACF multilingual i saw the message:

"Change the field group translation setting
You can translate field labels and labels for Choices using String Translation. To do this, set the field group post type to Not Translatable."

I set field group post type to Not Translatable and now i see duplicated ACF blocks, take a look at the screenshots

Can i delete those duplicated ACF fields some how? As i can understand they are duplicated because of that settings? Do i need use older version of ACF Multiliongual?

Let me know if you need more information to understand why is this happening

Solution:
The manipulation is rather easier it consists of these steps:
1. Make the field groups translatable again.
2. Delete the field groups from the secondary languages.
3. Make the field groups untranslatable again.
4. Translate the field groups strings in String Translation.

I'll try to help you through all of them.
1. First step: Make the field groups translatable. Go to WPML->Settings. Then scroll down to the "Post Types Translation" section, and make it translatable check this screenshot https://i.imgur.com/9ddlHgc.png
2. Second step: Delete the field groups from the secondary language. You can follow the steps 3 to 6 in the "Making the Field Group Custom Post Type Not Translatable" section of this article https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/expert-translation-option/#using-expert-on-existing-sites
3. Third step: Make the field groups untranslatable again. That's the 7th step of the same section/article.
4. Fourth step: Translate the field groups strings in String Translation. Go to WPML->String Translation. You can filter by the field group, and translate the strings.

Relevant Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/expert-translation-option

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
March 15, 2023 at 10:44 am #13250235

sergeyS-14

Hi there!

When i updated ACF multilingual i saw the message:

"Change the field group translation setting
You can translate field labels and labels for Choices using String Translation. To do this, set the field group post type to Not Translatable."

I set field group post type to Not Translatable and now i see duplicated ACF blocks, take a look at the screenshots

Can i delete those duplicated ACF fields some how? As i can understand they are duplicated because of that settings? Do i need use older version of ACF Multiliongual?

Let me know if you need more information to understand why is this happening

Captura de pantalla 2023-03-15 114312.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2023-03-15 1134342.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2023-03-15 112653.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2023-03-15 112546.jpg
March 15, 2023 at 11:08 am #13250455

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and welcome to the WPML support forum. This is Jamal from the compatibility team behind this lust ACFML update.

I hope you did a backup before the update! If not, please make a full website backup and follow these steps:
1. Make the ACF field groups translatable again in WPML->Settings->Post Types translation.
2. Go to Custom fields->All custom fields. And for each secondary language, delete all the field groups.
3. Make the ACF field groups untranslatable again in WPML->Settings->Post Types translation.

If this does not help, please allow me temporary access to your website to check this further. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely.
If you can provide a staging site with a state before the update, or a backup that you have made before the update, it will help us a lot trace the origin of this issue.

March 15, 2023 at 12:20 pm #13251135

Pierre
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi @sergeys-14, you can also find the procedure that Jamal's commented in our documentation. Please look at https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/expert-translation-option/#field-group-translation-settings.

Thanks,
Pierre

March 16, 2023 at 9:21 am #13257565

sergeyS-14

Thank you...

there so much info on this page... and all is mixed up... Expert options... Set translatable in 2 places... i just lost and confused...

So what is exactly for the "Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual (ACFML)" only to translate the fields of ACF?

If i need to translate only values can i just disable this plugin?

Can i just disable and not use this plugin? So it will works just like before?

Or can i just recreate those fields using same meta_key (and delete old one) with new ACFML plugin to prevent duplication on screen options? There is not so many...

*I believe when i delete some group the values and metas of this group will not be deleted

Please advice whet to do.

March 16, 2023 at 10:22 am #13258179

Jamal
Supporter

Hi again! we wouldn't recommend disabling ACFML.

The manipulation is rather easier it consists of these steps:
1. Make the field groups translatable again.
2. Delete the field groups from the secondary languages.
3. Make the field groups untranslatable again.

I'll try to help you through all of them.
<b>1. First step:</b> Make the field groups translatable. Go to WPML->Settings. Then scroll down to the "Post Types Translation" section, and make it translatable check this screenshot hidden link
<b>2. Second step: </b> Delete the field groups from the secondary language. You can follow the steps 3 to 6 in the "Making the Field Group Custom Post Type Not Translatable" section of this article https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/expert-translation-option/#using-expert-on-existing-sites
<b>3. Third step:</b> Make the field groups untranslatable again. That's the 7th step of the same section/article.
<b>4. Fourth step:</b> Translate the field groups strings in String Translation. Go to WPML->String Translation. You can filter by the field group, and translate the strings.

March 16, 2023 at 11:20 am #13258677

sergeyS-14

ok this si more clear ) thank you!

But i dont understand the

I dont wont to translate field groups... i just wont to translate the values of created fields... i dont care if the field group will be in english when i will translate other languages.

Do i need to translate it any way?

March 16, 2023 at 11:38 am #13258911

Jamal
Supporter

Actually, no. If you only want to translate the values, you don't have to translate the strings in WPML->String Translation.

March 16, 2023 at 11:38 am #13258913

sergeyS-14

My issue is resolved now.

Excuse my stupidity =))

Without step 4 it works!

Thank you!

March 16, 2023 at 5:49 pm #13263247

Jamal
Supporter

Awesome! I am glad we could help. And thank you for your reply.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.