Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcelaB-4 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 27, 2022 at 9:57 pm #12135699

marcelaB-4

Hi, I have updated to latest version of WPML but my footer defaulted back to the default language, instead of the DE and ENG translations I had there before. Also the formatting is a bit off with the social media icons being in a column instead of next to each other - hidden link

September 27, 2022 at 11:04 pm #12135843

marcelaB-4

As this is a live e-commerce site, I have restored back-up to return to original state with correct footer. Once WPML support staff is assigned, I will update to latest WPML version when we can troubleshoot without having disfunctional footer for days impacting my customers.

The issue originally appeared when I updated WPML CMS and WPML SEO plugins to latest version.

September 27, 2022 at 11:29 pm #12135881

marcelaB-4

I mean it is either caused by WPML Media or WPML CMS

September 28, 2022 at 1:30 pm #12141313

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello

In order to not affect your website traffic - could you provide a copy of your site as per this article? We can then upgrade on a localserver and troubleshoot it freely.

https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Alternatively, can you setup a staging site where the issue also appears and where we can troubleshoot it?

Please advise

September 28, 2022 at 11:19 pm #12144753

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I was able to take a clone of your site and install it on a localserver.

Here, if the widgets blocks where you marked the content as HTML are replaced with the "Custom HTML" block with the same content.....and the translated with STring Translations, then the texts are translating and the translated footer widgets appear as expected.

Here is a video where I hope to make it clearer:
hidden link

September 29, 2022 at 6:11 am #12145865

marcelaB-4

Hi Yvette,

I followed your video but the html block I have there are already in Custom HTML format according to WP. When I add Custom HTML, it just provides another HTML block. When I click on the options of that block, it mentions one of the options is to Remove the custom html block as per screenshot. The HTML and Custom HTML blocks are identical and behave the same.
Feel free to try in live.
Marcela

Custom HTML of existing blocks.png
September 29, 2022 at 6:12 am #12145893

marcelaB-4

And yes, I am adding them as Custom HTML as per screenshot. They just look and behave the same.

Custom HTML of existing blocks 2.png
September 29, 2022 at 9:50 am #12147777

Yvette
Supporter

In this case, please do the following to fix your issue...then we can see if this is a "bug" on a sandbox site.

1. Install the Classic Widget plugin
2. Activate
3. Go to Appearance > Widgets
4. There, you can now select/replace the HTML widget with the "Custom HTML Widget".
5. After you are satisfied that they are translating, you can remove the Classic Widget plugin and the original Block widget with HTML content.

September 29, 2022 at 9:56 am #12148069

marcelaB-4

Surely, the translations should work without having to install yet another plugin. There are already too many as it is with WPML having 4 plugins at least.

It is really frustrating that every time WPML updates, my site gets broken.

The same issue happened already in the past and Bigul from WPML fixed it. Please check closed issues for the solution he found.

If I create widget using new plugin and then delete the plugin, wont the content of the plugin i.e. footer get deleted also? And what if I then want to update the content with the plugin uninstalled already? The website is not static.

September 29, 2022 at 11:03 am #12148411

marcelaB-4

Either way, in the interest of time, I did as you suggested and it DOES NOT WORK. Footer still broken as a result of WPML as during every update.

Every of these dead-end 'fixes' is taking alot of time on my part so hopefully next one works.

Please refer to Bigul's work to fix asap.

September 29, 2022 at 11:25 am #12148479

marcelaB-4

My issue is resolved now due to paid external IT expert.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.