Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 11 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
May 23, 2023 at 12:22 pm #13698975

jerisscloudcenter

*** CHANGE OF THREAD TITLE:
Localize the country of the languages in WPML

In Belgium, we speak 3 languages:
- French
- Dutch
- German

When I use WPML, if I want to display the flags of those languages, we get the flag of the country where language comes from.

- French => we'll get the flag of France
- Dutch => we'll get the flag of the Nederlands
- German => we'll get the flag of Germany

However, this is NOT what I want.

I want to display :
- French with Belgian flag
- Dutch with Belgian flag
- German with Belgian flag

Why? Well first the Dutch spoken in Belgium is NOT the same Dutch as spoken in the Nederlands. Our Dutch is called "Flemish" and has lots of differences. I could say the same for French and German even if it's less true.

It's important for me to display the BELGIAN flag, otherwise visitors get confused and think they're being redirected to another country's subdomain (e.g. Germany) instead of the German-translation of the Belgian website. See what I mean?

I saw example of this system being used on many websites (cf. attached screenshots).

How can I implement this with WPML?
Thanks

Tesla Website.jpg
Microlino Website.jpg
May 23, 2023 at 1:42 pm #13700023

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

In WPML it goes by custom languages:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/editing-wpmls-languages-table/#adding-your-own-languages-using-wpmls-gui

So you can create your own combination of languages and assign proper language flags.

However we do not have "nested" languages, for example that for the German language urls, you could have all the variants of German language ( for example Swiss German, etc) that would be available within the same URL. For each of these you will need to create a custom language that will have its own URL.

For us it would be impossible to maintain such huge database of various languages as the combinations are basically endless, however you can see the list of the preconfigured languages we offer:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/pre-configured-languages/

As for the example from the Tesla website, you can see that they are using the same logic:
hidden link
hidden link

So they are using different language codes for each of these language variations for Belgium (meaning they have separate translations for each of these URLs) and I believe that most if not all other multilingual solutions offer the same approach only.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.