Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.94 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 -
- 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
February 27, 2023 at 11:29 am #13123357

Dimitri

I use WPALLIMPORT & WPML ALL IMPORT to import real estates properties in multilingual websites.

Unfortunately, If I check the option "Search through the Media Library for existing images before importing new images" (see attachments), the plugin search in the entire media library for all languages and not only in the current language.

I want to import the same images and rename them differently in each language. When I import images in secondary language, the media file already exist in my primary and the plugin move my image from primary language to secondary.

It would be nice to filter the search to images already imported only in the concerned language and not in the entire library to allow the plugin to reimport same images in another language to set another name and slug (for SEO purpose).

Regards.
Dimitri

Capture d’écran 2023-02-27 121850.png
Capture d’écran 2023-02-27 121257.png
February 28, 2023 at 11:21 am #13134417

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

If I set up a sandbox site for you and send you the url, would you be able to show us this on a very simple site with the maximum of 1-2 images, including the recording using tool such as hidden link so we know we are on the same page with every detail? The whole import process is complex and we need to make sure that all the import settings and scenario match.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

February 28, 2023 at 11:23 am #13134427

Dimitri

Yes, I can do that

February 28, 2023 at 12:03 pm #13135021

Bruno Kos
Supporter

There it is:
hidden link

February 28, 2023 at 4:54 pm #13138237

Dimitri

OK, setup is done.

A small recap:

The goal is to import the same image source in each language and give them a different name and a different slug and avoid them to be re-import on each update using the search feature in WPALLIMPORT (very basic behavior).

WPML main language is French and secondary language is English.
Please see attachments for settings in WPML and in WPALLIMPORT

If you import the French import first, everything works smoothly in French, all images are attached and the properties display correctly all images with French names and slugs.

If you import English after French, wpallimport will detect images imported from the previous import and do not reimport the images with english names and english slug. He use existing images in French. Properties in English display all french images and French properties keeps only the featured images and do not display images in the slider of the property (see attachments).

In fact, in English, he shouldn't find previous imported images because they were imported in French and he should reimport them with another names and slugs

Is it understandable ?

Regards

English property.png
french property.png
French media library.png
English media library.png
wpallimport-image-configuration.png
WPML-Media-config.png
March 1, 2023 at 9:04 am #13142625

Dimitri

@bruno-k I have another issue concerning Taxonomies. Taxonomies in secondary languages created by WPALLIMPORT are not linked to taxonomies in the main language (see attached image) You can see the behavior on the same Sandbox.

In a perfect world, taxonomies should be linked automatically.

Do you want I open a new ticket ?

wpallimport taxonomies not linked to main language.png
March 1, 2023 at 9:20 am #13142767

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

While I am checking the first case with our 2nd tier, for taxonomies can you check this?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/importing-multiple-languages-with-wp-all-import-and-wpml/#step-2-create-your-taxonomies-in-wordpress

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 1, 2023 at 9:48 am #13142925

Dimitri

@bruno-k Oups, I can not prepare taxonomies in excel before import because imports files comes from CRMs. Taxonomies are created on the fly by WPALLIMPORT.
It could be possible to bypass all these excels. In fact, when importing a secondary language, you could get taxonomies used with the import in the primary language and link taxonomies for secondary language automatically without creating taxonomies by hand before.
I guess a simple function could do that.

March 2, 2023 at 1:59 pm #13155701

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

This has been escalated to our Compatibility team and may take some debugging time, I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news or questions for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 3, 2023 at 7:55 am #13161011

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Our team will check it out, but we need the following:
- Please record a video using tools such as hidden link where you show us the example and what happens next, if possible use audio as well to explain what happens ( this is because all import imports can come with literally hundreds of combinations and even one different setting can significantly change the outcome)
- also write us steps on what should we do, step by step

Let me know if you have any questions about the above! Please use our sandbox because this is the site we will use for debugging.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 3, 2023 at 9:04 am #13161577

Dimitri

Hello @bruno-k,
I explained the problem with screenshots here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-all-import-search-exisiting-image-not-works-for-multilingual/#post-13138237

Is it so hard to understand ?
Play with the sandbox configuration I've prepared for you.

The main goal is to import same source urls images to each language to name them differently with different slug names and avoid to reimport them on updates (see attachments on link above).

Steps:
1) Import in french. Images are in the French media library correctly attached to the post (property) created/updated with name and slug in French. Everything works great.
2) Import in English. Images are not reimported because wpallimport detect they has been already imported in French and images are detached from french post and are attached to the related English post. Images moved to English media library with their french name/slug.

On post creation: Normal behavior should be to reimport the same source image, set name/slug in English and attach them to the English post without using french images previously imported.

On post update: Normal behavior should be to search for previously imported images in CONCERNED LANGUAGE LIBRARY ONLY to avoid to reimport them again.

Conclusion: The image search function shouldn't detect previously images imported in other languages.

Regards

March 3, 2023 at 10:05 am #13162229

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

This has been escalated to our Compatibility team and may take some debugging time, I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news or questions for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 7, 2023 at 9:55 am #13187555

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I got a feedback from our 2nd tier, can you check and share your thoughts?

This is the expected result. The language information for images exists only in the database and there is no difference in the image URL's as they are the same, regardless of the language they are uploaded. E.g. if we upload a bg.jpg image directly to the second language, It will have the same URL as if it were sent in the main language ,as it does not have any language information there.

As WP All Import check if the image exists based on the URL, and the URL's are the same regardless of the language, this is the expected result.

Possible workaround could be by using the "match image by filename" option on both imports (instead of "match image by URL"). In our test the images were imported correctly in English, and both languages have both images.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

ss269.PNG
March 7, 2023 at 1:00 pm #13189649

Dimitri

Hello,
Thank you.

If I rename image during import and I select match image by filename, what happens if images are added/suppressed in my source ?

How the system knows witch image to add/remove ?

Regards

March 8, 2023 at 7:02 am #13195559

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

This is very likely a general question for WP All Import and is not directly related with the multilingual context.

The same thing could possibly happen with the "Match image by URL option". If you rename a image (rename the file), it will also change the URL.

Regards,
Bruno Kos