Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jerisscloudcenter 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
August 31, 2022 at 11:21 am

jerisscloudcenter

WPML Sticky Links, combined with the below shortcode (provided by this support) is causing my site to generate 500 Internal Server Error. I tried removing the shortcode but it doesn't matter, the error keeps appearing. The error will stop appearing only when disabling WPML Sticky Links. Why?

/**
* FIX THE FOOTER PERMALINKS FOR WPML TRANSLATIONS
*/
global $WPML_Sticky_Links;
if ( method_exists( $WPML_Sticky_Links, 'show_permalinks' ) ) {
add_filter( 'do_shortcode_tag', [ $WPML_Sticky_Links, 'show_permalinks' ], 0 );
}

Source: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-sticky-links-shortcode-not-compatible-with-php-8/

August 31, 2022 at 12:08 pm
September 2, 2022 at 8:02 pm #11979583

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there and thank you for your patience.

I was able to properly gather some information from my colleagues that are working in the development department but in different time zones.

First of all, they recommended that you try the new beta version that we released which brings a lot of improvements for issues that were present for WPML in relation with PHP 8.0 (it is explained here how you can use a beta version: https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-install-beta-and-development-versions-of-wpml/).

Another important thing to mention is that it seems that even WordPress itself is not fully compatible with PHP 8.0 or 8.1 yet.

Please take a look here:
https://make.wordpress.org/core/2022/01/10/wordpress-5-9-and-php-8-0-8-1/#:~:text=WordPress%20is%20not%20fully%20compatible,the%20notices%20become%20fatal%20errors

At the same URL, you will see that there's an explanation on the "deprecated" notifications that you received, the ones that I mentioned about in our chat saying that they are not real errors and that they should not cause issues on the site.

So, in a conclusion, it is really not recommended that you use PHP 8.0 or 8.1 for now, especially taking into consideration that WordPress itself is not fully compatible with these versions.

Our team already has an existing internal ticket created for checking current plugins compatibility in regards to PHP 8.1 but it will take some time until that process will be finished. There are many many things that need to be tested and the "Sticky links" plugin has also been added to the list already from what I can see in the internal ticket.

For now, my recommendation is that you move back to the PHP version that you were using before where everything worked as expected and wait a few more months until everything is properly tested with these new PHP versions.

I hope that you will find this information helpful and I wish you a lovely rest of the day.

Mihai

September 5, 2022 at 10:05 am #11988355

jerisscloudcenter

Dear Mihai,

1) You're suggesting to not use PHP 8.x but versions older than PHP 8.x are in end-of-life. PHP 7.4 is not actively supported and is only supported for security purposes for the next two months only. After than, versions older than PHP 8.x are NOT supported anymore. Therefore, your request to not use versions older than PHP 8.x shall be strongly rejected for anyone carrying about the security of the websites provided to their clients.

2) The article of the WordPress website where you said that PHP 8.x isn't supported by WordPress is 6-months old AND is about version 5.9, while WordPress is now in version 6.0.2.

3) I will give a try to the beta version of your WPML and will let you know. Please keep this ticket open until then.

Thanks
Simon

PHP.png
September 6, 2022 at 9:00 am #11994423

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi Simon.

In regards to the WP post, yes, what you mentioned is accurate.

We are still in the process of testing with PHP 8.1+ and there might still be some bugs or notices here and there.

In regards to the beta, sure, please let me know how things go.

I also want to let you know that we have published the new official update: version 4.5.9 (so no need to use the beta anymore)

If you go to Plugins > Add new > Commercial > click "check for updates" > you should find the latest version available for download.

Let me know how things go.

Mihai

September 6, 2022 at 10:15 am #11994995

jerisscloudcenter

The latest release 4.5.9 solved the issue. Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.