Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mohamed Sayed 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
November 29, 2022 at 10:17 am #12553427

jensR-11

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Try to change Buton Link for different Languages

November 29, 2022 at 1:18 pm #12554749

Mohamed Sayed

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting WPML support.

Please try the following steps:

1) Go to WPML > String Translation > Click the "Translate texts in admin screens" link
2) Search for the Button's link
3) Select it and add it to the String Translation
4) Go to WPML > String Translation, and translate the link

Please check here for more details: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/#strings-arent-selected-for-translation

Let me know please if that helps.

Regards,
Mohamed

String Translation ‹ Sandbox — WordPress - Google .png
November 30, 2022 at 7:52 am #12560093

jensR-11

Its not working. Why is a simple task like translating and change the link of a simple button so complicated. No wonder other Translation Plugins are on the rise.

WPML ist just to complicated.

November 30, 2022 at 9:41 am #12561287

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

Please note that the translation of any element with WPML depends on many factors including how the element was created. Also, is it registered for translation or not?

So kindly tell me how the button is created and where I can see it on the front end so I can check it.

I would also need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) so I can investigate this issue further.
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

If you don't see the form below, please don't add your credentials as they will be publicly exposed:
hidden link

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thanks for your cooperation

November 30, 2022 at 4:20 pm #12564731

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I checked the site but I couldn't find any clues, it might be a custom WPbakery module created with Uncode and not supported. Please see here (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/build-multilingual-websites-using-uncode-theme-and-wpml/#adding-translation-support-for-wpbakery-page-builder-modules).

I tried to register it with the following XML but the link still not showing anywhere:

<wpml-config>
  <shortcodes>
    <shortcode>
      <tag>vc_button</tag>
      <attributes>
        <attribute encoding="allow_html_tags">title</attribute>
        <attribute encoding="vc_link" type="link">link</attribute>
      </attributes>
    </shortcode>
  </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

I've escalated this issue to our 2nd tier supporters for further investigation and I will update you once I get their reply.

Regards,
Mohamed

December 1, 2022 at 9:08 am #12568543

jensR-11

Here's the answer from the theme builder:

Yes, I confirm that this is not working; unfortunately, the method is the same way other things are translated, so I can't tell you at the moment if something happened with one of the recent WPML updates.

Let us know when you hear back from their support. If not, we will contact their developers for more information, unfortunately, this is a WPML feature, and they are the expert when it comes to odd issues

Best,

December 1, 2022 at 3:49 pm #12572639

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,
Thanks for your patience and for sharing the theme's reply.

Our 2nd tier supporters found that there is no link in the WPbakery shortcode, please see here:

[vc_button border_animation="btn-ripple-out" border_width="0" uncode_shortcode_id="521746" link="target:_blank" media_lightbox="8384"]See Video[/vc_button]

That's why it can't be detected by WPML as it uses the media id instead of the link. Please try the following steps:

1. Go to WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration tab
2. Add the following:

<wpml-config>
  <shortcodes>
    <shortcode>
      <tag>vc_button</tag>
      <attributes>
        <attribute type="media-ids">media_lightbox</attribute>
      </attributes>
    </shortcode>
  </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

3. Go to WPML > Media translation, and translate the media file from there
4. Edit the page in the default language and make a small change to any text content to force updating the translation
5. Update the translation

Let me know please if that helps.

Regards,
Mohamed

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.