Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by stevenH-12 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
June 17, 2022 at 9:15 am #11483559

stevenH-12

Since a week or 2 I have a problem with translated (variable ?) products in woocommerce: every now and then the translated products turn to 'out of stock'. It's not just some variations but the entire variable product that is marked as 'out of stock'. When I check the list of products, these 'out of stock' products do not list as sold out.
The workaround I found is to just update the translation and the products are available again. But since it is a recurring problem, this is no solution.
Can you tell me if this is a known bug since the major woocommerce update of WPML? And is there a way I can solve this recurring problem?

June 17, 2022 at 9:48 am #11483755

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Please share with us the access to your staging site so we can continue investigating the issue. Also please mention a product that experienced this problem.

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the following reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 17, 2022 at 2:46 pm #11486161

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello

At this moment, when I try to view the product that you provided as an example of the issue, I am getting a 500 internal server error.

Do you get this as well?
Is this a development site that you have provided access to?

June 17, 2022 at 3:36 pm #11486501

stevenH-12

Yes, I had the same error. there was something wrong with the htaccess file. It should work now.
This is indeed a development/staging site.

June 20, 2022 at 8:27 am #11496665

Yvette
Supporter

I checked the stock status of the product you provided but everything seems to be in order. Have I missed something?

You originally asked:

1. if this is a known bug since the major woocommerce update of WPML?
No, there are no other reports of this kind that I can see.

2. And is there a way I can solve this recurring problem?
We can only troubleshoot a problem that is "provokeable". From experience, if a problem happens "randomly" , "from time to time", ....etc... there is a compatibility issue, a resource issue, or an environmental issue at the core.

A software bug will occur regularly and is easily reproduced. The error is logical.

That is not to say that it is NOT a bug...but we cannot study what cannot be reproduced.

I wait for your feedback

June 20, 2022 at 11:21 am #11498385

stevenH-12

I mentioned that the problem is recurring, because it is. At the moment we're experiencing the problem again on the live site, I have now pulled the database from the live site to the staging site, so you can see where the problem is.
As far as I can see (it's a guess) the translated product (Dutch) turns to 'out of stock' when a client makes an order in the original language (French) and the problem only occurs in variable products.

June 20, 2022 at 11:41 am #11498595

Yvette
Supporter

You wrote: "As far as I can see (it's a guess) the translated product (Dutch) turns to 'out of stock' when a client makes an order in the original language (French) and the problem only occurs in variable products"

Could you reproduce this on the staging site? IF so - that would be fantastic.

June 20, 2022 at 12:19 pm #11498997

stevenH-12

I have now pulled the entire database from live to staging and the products I mentioned at the start of this thread are 'out of stock' in the translated product page (Dutch).

There's nothing in the admin that shows me the product is out of stock. On the frontend the product page says 'out of stock', in the list of products it just show 'in stock'. So there is a discrepancy between frontend and backend.

I fixed the problem (again) on the live site, by just updating the translation, without making any changes. The product is 'in stock' again on the frontend. But I can't tell when it is going to change again. The fact that the error disappears after updating the translation leaves me to believe there is something wrong within synchronisation of stock between translations, when a product gets ordered in the original language.

As I said before: it is the main product that goes out of stock and not just a variation of that product.
To be clear: if PRODUCTA is the main product and PRODUCTA-VAR1 and PRODUCTA-VAR2 are the variations, then PRODUCTA is marked as out of stock on the frontend but not in the woocommerce admin.

I tried to trigger the error on the staging site, by ordering avariable product in the original language, but it did not trigger the error, being that the translation goes 'out of stock'.

I also tried and disabled all plugin except woocommerce and WPML plugins to see if that changed something with stock, but it didn't.

June 20, 2022 at 4:50 pm #11501717

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I took a Duplicator package of the staging site and installed it on a local server. With this copy, I had to remove the MU plugin for caching.

When I did this, the product was not showing the out-of-stock issue curiously.

Could you please try removing the MU plugin from the staging site?

As you pointed out - the backend data is ok - it's the frontend that is not working.
THanks for your help in this while I continue investigating.

June 20, 2022 at 5:28 pm #11502043

stevenH-12

I can't fully delete it, but I can disable it and the problem is still the same.
I activated redis cache drop-in on the live site and it solved my problem instantly, so I suppose there is/was a caching problem that occurs with Redis and the fact that the drop-in was disabled.

June 21, 2022 at 7:28 am #11505547

Yvette
Supporter

At this point, do you agree that we are looking at a caching issue?

I am not sure what the status of the Redis is on your site and if activating it has now resolved "the issue" or not. Can you please clarify?

Is this the only caching strategy you have active at the moment?

June 24, 2022 at 11:51 am #11537577

stevenH-12

Yes, this was a caching issue causing translated products to go out of stock when the original product was bought.
The solution was to enable the redis cache drop-in (I'm on cloudways) and stock was back in sync between translations.
(it was disabled because we had previous issues with stock numbers for eventtickets, causing tickets not to go out of stock when they should have)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.