Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.00 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas V. 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas V..

Author Posts
May 21, 2023 at 11:05 pm #13685613

hassanA-8

Hi, i want to re-translate all names of productcategories of WooCommerce.
I want to do it just in bulk, and no individually. I've alot of ways, but nothing seems to work.

For example i tried the solution here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/could-not-bulk-translate-for-product-categories/
But it didnt work.
Remember that i want to "retranslate it". The reason is because many categories on our second language seems to have the same name as the first language, so the category is technically "already translated", but its not the correct language.

--
Please note that we bought a new license to the site to get support, so im not sure if the current license on the site is still valid in the debug information

May 22, 2023 at 3:19 pm #13692173

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. My name is Nicolas and I will be happy to help you today.

I don't have a quick solution here because those categories have been translated already.

1. Automatic translation will use the "translation memory" to save credits and use that previous translations.

2. Also note that already translated taxonomies don't show in our Advanced Translation Editor (ATE). So, categories won't show in the editor or translations from automatic translation.

I would need to know how you translated those categories in the first place:
- Did you use Automatic Translation
- Did you translate them in ATE
- Did you translate them in "WPML > Taxonomy translation"

We could clear your translation memory but it means that future translations (or updates of already translated pages) could cost you more credits.
The process would be:
- We clear your translation memory (to solve point #1)
- You need to delete all categories translations (to solve point #2)
- Then you can send them to translation in bulk using the method described in the ticket you shared. Full documentation: https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-translate-all-taxonomy-terms-at-once/

Nico

May 22, 2023 at 5:12 pm #13693217

hassanA-8

Hi, as for your questions:
- Did you use Automatic Translation
No, these categories was not translated with automatic translations.

- Did you translate them in ATE
No

- Did you translate them in "WPML > Taxonomy translation"
Yes, i think so, but it was done long time ago, so im not 100% sure.

I dont mind if we "delete the translations" as they are now, but im surprised there is no such thing as where the automatic translation can overrwite currenct translations..

May 22, 2023 at 7:24 pm #13693671

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Hello,

Actually we have an option to overwrite previous translations not made by automatic translation - see screenshot. But as I mentioned, the taxonomies that are already translated will not show in ATE and therefore won't be retranslated.

If you translated your taxonomies in "WPML > Taxonomy translation" then, because it's manual and outside of ATE, there is a chance that they are not saved in the translation memory yet.

In that case you can try to delete translations and retranslate a post with all taxonomies without having to clear your translation memory. I think it's worth a try as keeping the translation memory is recommended.

Let me know how it goes and if we need to delete that memory.

Nico

capture2.png
May 23, 2023 at 12:12 pm #13698795

hassanA-8

We have over 300 categories, it would take too much time if we have to delete 300 translations manually. Then we might aswell do th just manually while we delete.

There must be an easier way of doing this.

May 23, 2023 at 4:02 pm #13701641

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Hello,

As I mentioned in my first answer, in this particular case I don't see a quick solution.

The only thing that comes to mind that could help a bit is the following:
- Go to "Products > Categories"
1. Select the secondary language
2. Then use the screen options at the top right corner to display 100 at the time
3. Select all 100 categories
4. Use the "Bulk action" to "Delete"
(see screenshot)

But I totally agree with you, updating manually each translation would be almost as fast as doing this.

Nico

capture4.png
May 23, 2023 at 4:23 pm #13701715

hassanA-8

How would we bulk translate the categories normally? Where would that be

May 23, 2023 at 8:47 pm #13703511

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Hello,

1. To go through categories one by one you can go to "WPML > Taxonomy translation"

2. To translate them in bulk, you can use the documentation I provided earlier:
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-translate-all-taxonomy-terms-at-once/

In short, that's the same trick you found in the other ticket: you create a fake product and add all categories, then you (or the automatic translation) will be able to translate them directly in the product translation using our Advanced Translation Editor (ATE).

Nico

May 24, 2023 at 7:37 am #13704557

hassanA-8

Are you not able to provide an sql query that clears th translations of the second language?

May 25, 2023 at 11:51 am #13715813

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Hello,

I'm sorry but it is outside the scope of WPML support to provide custom work, including custom queries. Deleting them form the backend is the safest way to do so and you can do it in bulk (100-150 at the time).
If you don't want to remove them manually, I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/
You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Thanks,
Nico

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.