Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
When I switch to the Japanese language, I get a fatal error "Uncaught ValueError: Unknown format specifier �" in one of the Gamipress plugin files.

It seems that something was translated to "�" which is causing the site to crash.

Solution:
I disabled String Translation to check if the issue came from an incorrect string translation, and the issue was resolved.

I enabled the plugin again and checked the strings under "ct" domain ( The text domain used with strings from the file mentioned in the error)

Only one string was translated and it's the one that causes this issue. When translating strings with placeholders like "Edit %1$s" please make sure that you only translate the words and copy the placeholder from the original string.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mohamed Sayed 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
December 3, 2023 at 2:03 am #14979103

benM-13

I am trying to: use WPML and Gamipress together

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the Japanese homepage

Instead, I got: Fatal error: Uncaught ValueError: Unknown format specifier "�" in [directory of Gamipress function.php]

It appears that WPML is translating something to "�" which is causing the site to crash. I have made all Gamipress point/ rank types as 'not translatable' but the issue persists, only on the Japanese pages.

December 3, 2023 at 9:04 pm #14981301

Mohamed Sayed

Hi Ben,
Thanks for contacting WPML support.

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) so I can investigate this issue further.
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

If you don't see the form below, please don't add your credentials as they will be publicly exposed:
hidden link

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thanks for your cooperation

December 4, 2023 at 8:36 am #14983129

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

The site requires a verification link to log in, could you please disable the 2FA for this user account till we finish investigating this issue?

December 4, 2023 at 11:40 am #14986085

benM-13

Sorry - this should be disabled now

December 4, 2023 at 12:03 pm #14986361

Mohamed Sayed

Could you please recheck the credentials?

I see the following error:

Screenshot_370.png
December 4, 2023 at 12:05 pm #14986399

Mohamed Sayed

Please ignore my previous message, I was checking on the wrong login URL from my testing site.

I'm checking the issue now and will update you here soon.

December 4, 2023 at 1:06 pm #14987029

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I disabled String Translation to check if the issue came from an incorrect string translation, and the issue was resolved.

I enabled the plugin again and checked the strings under "ct" domain ( The text domain used with strings from the file mentioned in the error)

Only one string was translated and it's the one that causes this issue. When translating strings with placeholders like "Edit %1$s" please make sure that you only translate the words and copy the placeholder from the original string.

Please check and confirm if you can access the Japanese pages now.

Screenshot_371.png
December 4, 2023 at 10:52 pm #14991925

benM-13

Amazing! Thanks you very much.

benM-13 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-12-04 22:52:49.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.