Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.09 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 19, 2022 at 8:16 am #11690783

robertaD-5

Manual translation reverts to original

July 19, 2022 at 9:10 am #11691115

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Here is the ticket now - let us know when this occurs again so we could check activity logs.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 29, 2022 at 6:31 am #11763467

robertaD-5

Dear Bruno,

The client is reporting that this problem keeps on happening.

There was a repeated incident where a news article hidden link was prepared in 2 languages (EN & MT) and it was scheduled to publish at 7am this morning. Then the following happened. (quoting the client).

"At 7am (when it was published) it was in the correct language (in English) - with time it then took on the MT words without anyone doing anything to it. "

We are looking into ways to reproduce the problem so we can provide further information. In the meantime, please let us know if you have any knowledge of articles switching their body to the text of their linked language.

Thanks

Reuben

July 29, 2022 at 11:23 am #11765969

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. Please tell us more about this install
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2. Could we take a look at your site configuration?
Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

July 29, 2022 at 12:49 pm #11766573

robertaD-5

please redact the domain name in the URL provided earlier today.

August 1, 2022 at 8:49 am #11775115

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Thank you for the details.

1. You wrote:
However, the revision was created on the linked EN post (ID 869826). The Maltese text submitted on the former post (ID 869675) overwrote the English text in the latter post (ID 869826).

Response: I went to look at the post you cited this morning and right now it is in English. Is this right?

2. Is there anywhere I can see the "revision log"?

3. Is it possible to turn on versioning in WordPress so that there is a record of this happening that we can see? (at least turn it on until the next occurrance of the issue).

4. Would you know who edited the post at 7:13? Is there any chance that this is user-id related since you were unable to replicate the issue?

5. Which Translation Editor are you using? ATE or CTE?

Thank you

August 2, 2022 at 10:01 am #11784157

robertaD-5

Hello Yvette

Yes, this post - /wp-admin/post.php?post=869679&action=edit&lang=en - is currently in English but had unexpectedly changed to Maltese and can be seen in this revision - /wp-admin/revision.php?revision=869826

This happened by a user named Gabriel as shown in the revision. Gabriel did not edit this post, but at 7:13 he did edit the linked post in Maltese at /wp-admin/post.php?lang=mt&action=edit&post_type=post&post=869675

Versioning has already been on. Last 3 revisions.

I'm not sure regarding your question about using ATE or CTE because we are using neither Classic nor Advanced WPML editors. We are using standard WordPress Gutenberg to create a WP Post and then create the translation (new WP Post) using the + button.

Thank you

Reuben

August 2, 2022 at 10:25 am #11784323

robertaD-5

Dear Yvette,

The user informed us that when editing the MT post at 7:13, he edited the Post Format and some custom fields. I have tried the following test on a test environment.

1. Created a test post EN

2. Linked it to a new test post MT

3. Updated the body of the original EN post to check if the body of the linked MT post is affected. No, it was not.

4. Updated the body of the MT post to check if the body of the original EN post is affected. No, it was not.

5. Updated the Post Format of the original post EN to see if the Post Format of the linked MT post is affected. YES, both posts changed from Standard post format to Video in a single edit of a single post.

6. Updated the Post Format of the MT post (now format Video) to format Standard to see if the original EN post changes its post format back to Standard. No, it did not.

7. Reverted both posts back to standard.

8. Repeated step 5. Updated the Post Format of the original post EN to see if the Post Format of the linked MT post is affected. NO, this time it was not.

This is of course unpredictable behaviour which we would like to investigate.

I have not been able to reproduce a change of body of 2 wpml-linked posts by a single edit as reported by our users. However, I have temporarily reproduced the change of Post Format of 2 wpml-linked posts by a single edit.

Thanks

Reuben

August 2, 2022 at 12:30 pm #11785581

Yvette
Supporter

OK.

First - thank you for all the testing. It sounds like it is approaching a reproducible behaviour.

1. When you linked the 2 posts, which language was the "source" EN or MT?

2. Can you reproduce reliably on your site? Would you be willing to try to reproduce same on a sandbox site?

Thanks

August 2, 2022 at 12:52 pm #11785779

robertaD-5

Dear Yvette,

I am now referring to the original problem reported by the user (not the independent test I have performed with the Post Format).

Answers to your questions below.

1. Source Language.
The MT post has ID 869675 whilst the EN post has ID 869679. So it can be inferred that the original post has been MT, because it has a smaller ID.

2. Am I able to reproduce the problem as reported by the user (change of body)?
Unfortunately not, I've tried to reproduce it in both the live environment and in a development environment.

During the initial live chat, Bruno indicated that there have been similar reported incidents in the past of a translation reverting the body to original. However, I do not have any information about these incidents. Could you kindly investigate if there may be a common factor?

Thanks

Reuben

August 2, 2022 at 6:03 pm #11787803

Yvette
Supporter

OK. I've asked my colleagues if they have come across anything similar in their work.

I recently had a ticket where a post type was fully translated in the ATE but the XLIFF interface would only update the translated post with the original language text. It is similar but not the same as the translated text NEVER was present.

It turned out that the issue was related to the segment tags missing so the XLIFF could not find where to put the translated text and instead copied the original language content to the translated post.

But this client regularly used the ATE. In your case, you are saying that you do not use ATE at all. So, close but no cigar.

I did notice some things on your site:
- our plugins are not at the latest levels.
- the WPML menu items on the backend are not all present (perhaps you have filtered them?)
vid: hidden link

- when I went to WPML > Settings, there was no Translation Editor selected....this is not expected. The CTE is now configured since you always use manual translations. I wonder if this is why you are seeing the ATE "stamps" in your revisions even if you don't ever use it.

In any case, please upgrade your WPML CMS plugin and let's see if this continues to happen. Please let me know about the missing WPML menu items in the video and I hope maybe this will address the issue.

The topic ‘[Closed] Manual translation reverts to original’ is closed to new replies.