Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I can't see the + sign to add a new translation, instead, I see a cogs icon.

Solution:
The cogs icon means that those translations are in progress and not complete yet. Please try the following steps:

- Go to WPML > Translation Management > Jobs tab
- Search for the jobs of pages that show the cogs icon
- Cancel the jobs
- Check if you can access the classic translation editor by clicking the + icon in Posts > All Posts

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.08 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by cecileL-3 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
June 14, 2022 at 3:31 pm #11459891

cecileL-3

Hello,

I want to translate blog articles and pages on my site from French to English (the site is not published yet).

I used to have a little + sign to add translations next to all my posts on my other sites, but on this new site now I have weird cogs signs next to some of my posts that lead to an "Advanced interface" (I have my interface in french so I don't know the real english name) where I can only translate the text which is not what I want to do : I want to duplicate the page like before so I can translate using the Elementor Editor and change images according the language, etc.

I have WPML on my other sites and I don't have all this little cogs / advanced translation nonsense preventing me from duplicating / editing the real page. How can I bypass that thing? I tried looking in the WPML plugin settings but nothing I check or uncheck makes the cogs disappear.

I also tried duplicating the post using 3 different methods that have all failed:

First, when editing the post under the "Language" section, but the duplication checkbox is uncheckable (nothing happens when I click it, even though it's not greyed out or anything).

Second, I also tried creating another brand new post to write my translation in and link it to the original post, but depending on the article I'm on the linking option is not showing, or if it is I don't see all my posts in the list, it's some posts, or old posts that have been trashed, or posts in the same language as my translation...

Third, I also tried duplicating the post from the "Waiting /pending translations" in the WPML plugin interface, but then I encounter the same problems as stated in the above paragraphs.

Wordpress support tried to troubleshoot the uncheckable box problem by deactivating plugins / changing the theme but nothing worked and they advised me to ask here.

Please help, this is very frustrating. I just want to deactivate the advanced translation thing and get rid of the cogs so I can add translations with the + sign like before.

téléchargement (7).jpeg
téléchargement (6).jpeg
Capture d’écran 2022-06-14 à 17.24.09.png
wpml checkbox.jpeg
June 14, 2022 at 10:37 pm #11461717

Mohamed Sayed

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting WPML support.

1) The cogs icon means that those translations are in progress and not complete yet. Please try the following steps:

- Go to WPML > Translation Management > Jobs tab
- Search for the jobs of pages that show the cogs icon
- Cancel the jobs
- Check if you can access the classic translation editor by clicking the + icon in Posts > All Posts

2) The duplicate option should be available if the post has no translation yet, so the above steps should help to fix the duplication issue.

Kindly check and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Mohamed

June 15, 2022 at 8:39 am #11464509

cecileL-3

It worked! Thank you for your help. I thought I had checked every setting and this option / tab was a bit hard to find. I wouldn't have found it without you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.