Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
November 7, 2020 at 1:53 am #7397041

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

It´s strange indeed. I have taken a Duplicator snapshot of your site and will be troubleshooting this locally.

I hope to have some news for you soon.

November 9, 2020 at 8:18 pm #7411299

Yvette
Supporter

I still could not resolve this issue. On my local site I removed all plugins and recreated the problem with standard post types.

I have escalatted this to our 2nd tier support group with all my working notes.

Hopefully they will have some news for you soon.

November 12, 2020 at 3:05 am #7430305

ingoZ

Ok thank you, I am looking forward to hearing back from the tier 2 support group.

November 12, 2020 at 4:32 pm #7436581

Yvette
Supporter

The ticket is "in progress" still but they have found that if you complete the translation of the tag to Italian...then only one product is showing up.

But it is still under investigation. I will update when I have more news, please also feel free to check in and ask me to check the status.

December 2, 2020 at 7:40 pm #7581857

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

This issue has been passed on to developmement but as a workaround, it is suggested to not use "Display as translated" mode for products and "translated mode" for product_tags

Impt: They should follow the same settings in order to avoid such issues.

December 21, 2020 at 1:21 pm #7709839

ingoZ

Hello, so the original error is still not resolved? At the moment I still need to keep the WPML Version 4.3.19 but I am worried keeping that outdated version could cause problems with other plugins.

Regarding the proposed workaround:
What did you mean by setting '"translated mode" for product_tags'? Do you mean that I should set "product_tag" to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language"?
And how would this help with the untranslated items being shown in the other languages? Because the product_tag terms are actually translated, only the products themselves are not.

December 22, 2020 at 8:08 am #7714065

Yvette
Supporter

1. You wrote: "...so the original error is still not resolved? .."
Answer: Correct. When the fix will be scheduled and released is not something that I have visibility on. However, I can see that it is not even "scheduled" yet and therefore not assigned so it will be a while.

2. You wrote: "...how would this help with the untranslated items being shown in the other languages?..:"

I suppose the suggested workaround would force you to translate products if you translate the taxonomy and therefore, the query would work when it is not working right now...(?). It seems, right now, the mixed setting is what is causing the query to not work as we expect.

September 26, 2021 at 3:07 pm #9662041

ingoZ

Hello,

its been 10 months since I told your team about that bug with mentioned in this support thread. As previously described, here again the issue is in short:

I have 3 languages.
1) English is the default language
2) German is a secondary language for which we manually translated all products
3) Italian is another secondary language for which the products are not translated and thus they should show the English language default post.

To achieve this, I have set in the WPML translation settings the "Products" to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language".
Now on the archive/shop pages the result is:
In English and in Italian it works as desired, in both cases the English default version of the products are shown. However, in German i see the products each twice, both the manually translated German products BUT ALSO the English language products are displayed - while obviously only German one should be shown here.

Why has this bug still not been fixed? When will this finally be solved in an update? Is there any better workaround now?

September 27, 2021 at 1:33 pm #9668807

Yvette
Supporter

I cannot comment on the scheduling or selection of bugs to fix.
I can put a note that the workaround you were given is not manageable and you require a fix.

Will this be ok?

September 27, 2021 at 5:07 pm #9670501

ingoZ

Well, can you tell me if this issue is even worked on? This seems quite a basic function that has a major bug here. Having certain languages that are manually translated and other languages which are not that have a fallback to the default language really has to work. As mentioned this issue only appeared since WPML version 4.4.0 so it should not be that difficult to fix.

And yes sure besides the information about whether this issue is worked on at all and a broad timeline when this may be solved, please help me find a workaround for it. The term archive pages of our extensive taxonomies make up a bigger part of our website's most important pages and thus it is important that the content of those term archive pages themselves need to be translated while we can translate all the products which are in the thousands. So your suggested workaround is not applicable, we rely on a combination of these two settings and need a solution for this.

September 27, 2021 at 5:45 pm #9670655

ingoZ

EDIT

Actually I am still not sure what you exactly meant by this:

This issue has been passed on to developmement but as a workaround, it is suggested to not use "Display as translated" mode for products and "translated mode" for product_tags

Impt: They should follow the same settings in order to avoid such issues.

AND

2. You wrote: "...how would this help with the untranslated items being shown in the other languages?..:"

I suppose the suggested workaround would force you to translate products if you translate the taxonomy and therefore, the query would work when it is not working right now...(?). It seems, right now, the mixed setting is what is causing the query to not work as we expect.

I have set in both the Post Types Translation the "product" and in the Taxonomies Translation the "product_tag" to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language". How are those mixed settings?
Furthermore as an explanation: In English (default language) both the products and product tags have English texts. In Italian, only the tags are translated, and the products are taken form the default english language. So far this works correct. Just in German where I have translated both the products and product tags with German translations there is the error with both the German translated and the English default language showing up on the product tag archive pages. Can you elaborate again why this happens and your suggested workaround?

September 28, 2021 at 7:01 am #9673369

Yvette
Supporter

I´ve forwarded your questions/comments to our 2nd tier supporter. Please be patient while I wait for a reply.

October 1, 2021 at 12:17 pm #9703499

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I 'm sorry but don´t have anymore feedback for you.

You wrote: "Having certain languages that are manually translated and other languages which are not that have a fallback to the default language really has to work."

We are aware of this and the bug is passed on to development. Again, the only "workaround" we can offer is to translate everything or translate nothing. My understanding is that the middle option, if translations are existing, will not workk.

As for the bug and timeline. I have no other advancement to offer to you other than it is passed on to development and is out of the hands of support team now.