Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 15:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
January 7, 2024 at 8:26 pm #15157826

danielaK-9

I was trying to:
Edit my german homepage on the front end. I wanted to add design changes and translation changes as the translations were terrible.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:
my new layout for the homepage in German and later duplicate it to the other languages

Instead, I got:
Can't reach the URL and get a 404 error

January 8, 2024 at 11:06 am #15159936

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

I understand the issue you're having. While checking, I found that the 404 error was generated directly by the web server. That means the resource requested by the client cannot be found on the server. Conversely, with a website-generated error, you would typically see the website's layout accompanied by a 404 error or a message such as "The page couldn't be found."

Could you please try the following and check if that helps to solve the issue?

- Take a full backup of the site including the database
- Remove the caches from the site and server.
- Navigate to the root directory of your site using the File Manager in your hosting control panel.
- You'll find a file name '.htaccess'. Open the file in Editor.
- Copy the contents within it and save it on your Computer
- Now, replace the htaccess rules with the default rule mentioned here: https://wordpress.org/documentation/article/htaccess/#basic-wp
- Save the changes and try to access the German or Spanish version of the Homepage.

If the issue persists after that, it will be better if you contact your hosting/server administrator to inquire about the root cause of the 404 error. Given that the 404 error is managed by the server, precise information regarding the nature of the error should be available in the server's error log. If possible, please get the server error log immediately after encountering the 404 error and share it in the next response. I will check and suggest you what to do next.

Looking forward to your update and eager to assist you further.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

The topic ‘[Closed] Translation went lost 404 error’ is closed to new replies.