Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author Posts
April 14, 2023 at 1:32 pm #13474139

Vitaio

I am trying to: export my pages in xliff file.

I expected to see: separated field in the xliff file.

Instead, I got: all the texts in one field.

Képernyőfotó 2023-04-14 - 15.31.25 2 (1).png
April 17, 2023 at 8:34 am #13485171

Nigel
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there

What is the content you are translating made with?

WPML breaks up content made with page builders (including the core Gutenberg block editor) into smaller chunks when generating XLIFF files, but it doesn't break up the post content if it is made with the classic editor, and if you use a page builder and add text modules, all of the content in a single text module would be one entry in the XLIFF file.

If you have used ATE to translate text (WPML's Advanced Translation Editor) you will have noticed that it breaks text up further into individual headings and sentences. But that is a feature of the ATE editor itself, not of WPML directly, and WPML breaks up content as described above.

April 20, 2023 at 12:42 pm #13511583

Vitaio

Hi Nigel,

We use Elementor page builder. The last time I use XLIFF export, I get separated texts in the XLIFF file but now it doesn't work. Is the any solution with Elementor page builder?

April 20, 2023 at 2:52 pm #13512575

Nigel
Supporter

What you should see with Elementor (actually the same as with other page builders) is that where you have separate modules within Elementor, those will be broken into separate texts within the XLIFF file.

So if your Elementor page had

Heading module
Text module
Heading module
Text module
Button module

then each of the texts belonging to each module would appear separately within the XLIFF file.

If one of your text modules had 6 paragraphs, all 6 paragraphs would appear together as a single entry in the XLIFF file.

April 21, 2023 at 8:00 am #13515663

Vitaio

Hi Nigel,

Yes, this is my problem. I have separate modules within Elementor as you can see on the attached screenshot, but the XLIFF file is not separated.

Kollekciók-LIFE-WALL (1).jpg
April 24, 2023 at 7:02 am #13524623

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry, there isn't really anything I can do about that.

I've described how it works, how each page builder module is one text element in the XLIFF file, but there isn't a way to change that.

Splitting the texts into individual sentences is a feature of the ATE editor. If you don't want to use that, it could be that other translation services or editors might have a similar feature.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.