Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 12 months ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
April 26, 2023 at 3:55 pm #13542963

nicolasp-29

Hello,

Most of my articles are duplicated in different languages. For example, I have the same article (in english) available in the french and polish versions of my website .

I added a canonical URL in the english version, but when updating, this URL is not duplicated in the french and polish versions (that are duplication) of this article.
I came accross this trend : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/seo-meta-descriptions-missing-on-duplicates/ that provides a solution I am looking for but for the meta-description only. I would like to have the same solution for the canonical URL.

Thank you for your help

April 28, 2023 at 11:43 am #13557181

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for reaching out to us. I will try my best to assist you in this matter.

I completely can understand the issue. When you duplicate a post in multiple languages, a synchronization state is established between the duplicate and original pages. This means that all the information related to SEO and content on the translated page will be synchronized with the original language. As a result, the information on the translated page will appear the same as the original page until you break the synchronization.

Now, this issue can be solved in two ways.

1) "Translating the duplicated pages independently": After duplicating a page in other languages, you'll have the option to translate the duplicated page independently. The process of Translating a duplicated page independently is described clearly in the documentation below.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/#how-to-use-manual-translation

After clicking on the "Translate independently" button, just make any small changes in the translated page and update the page. The canonical URL will be updated according to the language.

2) Adding the canonical URL manually for the duplicated post: Since you're using the Yoast SEO plugin, you can also update the canonical URL for the duplicated page in other languages. Kindly check this video(hidden link) to understand the overall process.

By following any of the ways mentioned above, you'll be able to update the canonical URL for the duplicated articles. Let me know if that helps or if you need further assistance in this matter. I will be happy to help you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

May 1, 2023 at 7:26 am #13563921

nicolasp-29

Hello,
OK thank you for your answer. I was expecting to see the canonical URL in the yoast field in my duplicated article after updating the original article. It is not displayed but I can see the change when inspecting the page.
thank you for your help

May 3, 2023 at 4:13 am #13574539

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hi There,
Hope you're doing well.

I can understand. Glad to hear that you've noticed the changes now. It is always better to inspect the meta information directly from the frontend.

Feel free to Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.