Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client had previously deactivated and deleted WPML and its additional plugins but found that there were still language files (French and English .json, .mo, and .po files) and a 'wpml' folder in the 'languages' directory within 'wp-content'. The client was unsure whether these files and the 'wpml' folder should be deleted and also inquired if deactivating and deleting WPML would remove related database tables.
Solution:
If you're not using WPML anymore, you can safely delete the related WPML files and folders. For detailed instructions on how to delete .mo and .po files for removed languages, please refer to our documentation:

Regarding the database tables, deactivating and deleting the plugin does not automatically remove them. You can use the reset option in WPML > Support > Troubleshooting to remove the tables if WPML is still installed. If you have already deactivated and deleted WPML, you will need to manually remove the tables from the database using PHPmyAdmin or a similar tool provided by your hosting platform.

Please note that this solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. We highly recommend checking related known issues at WPML Known Issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue persists, please open a new support ticket with us for further assistance.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
February 23, 2024 at 8:59 am #15336623

thomasV-73

Hello,

A while ago I deactivated and deleted WPML as per your described procedure. I also deactivated and deleted the additional plugins.

Today I went into my Cpanel>File Manager>Public_html>WP-content>languages>plugins. (when I was using WPML I wanted to translate from Dutch to French and English) There I found that there are still a lot of French and English files . The files are json, mo, and po files.

Also, Cpanel>File Manager>Public_html>WP-content>languages there still was a map named wpml. What do I need to do with this? When I go into that map, there are files for French, English, but also for my primary language Dutch. So I don't know if I can delete this map.

February 23, 2024 at 10:25 am #15336977

thomasV-73

So my question is, can I delete these French and English files, and can I delete the WPML map?

French and English files still in wp-content map.jpg
wpml map in wp-content.jpg
contents of wpml map.jpg
February 23, 2024 at 11:58 am #15337444

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. While you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take this ticket and work on it, let me provide you with the first debugging steps and try to help with the issue quickly.

If you are not using WPML, you are free to delete related WPML files, as mentioned here also:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/deleting-languages-and-plugin-data-by-doing-a-wpml-reset-on-your-site/#step-2-delete-the-mo-and-po-files-for-the-removed-language

Regards,
Drazen

February 23, 2024 at 3:32 pm #15338518

thomasV-73

Dear Drazen,

Thanks. I deleted the MO and PO files from the /wp-content>languages>plugins folder. But there are still a lot of French Json files, and even some php files. Can I also delete those? The guide you provided doesn't say anything aout those file types.

Also, the guide you provided doesn't tell me what to do with the /wp-content>languages>WPML map.

I'd gladly hear from your colleague who can tell me more.

February 23, 2024 at 9:07 pm #15339392

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

You can delete the folder /wp-content/languages/wpml.

Regarding other content inside /wp-content/languages I can not provide any advice, as I am not aware which languages are currently used on your site.

I suggest you download the files to your computer, then delete them from the server and run some tests.

If you run into unexpected issues, simply upload the files again.

February 24, 2024 at 8:07 am #15340014

thomasV-73

Dear Andreas,

My website is currently in Dutch.

"You can delete the folder /wp-content/languages/wpml."

In this folder, there are English, French, and Dutch files. Can I delete everything in this folder, even though there are some files in Dutch?

---

"Regarding other content inside /wp-content/languages I can not provide any advises, as I am not aware which languages are currently used on your site."

Now that you know my website is in Dutch, can uou advise me wheter I can delete those French json and php files?

February 24, 2024 at 11:52 am #15340260

Andreas W.
Supporter

The folder /wp-content/languages/wpml is only functional if WPML is active.

You should have Dutch files at /wp-content/languages/. If not, you can copy the files there.

February 24, 2024 at 12:15 pm #15340274

thomasV-73

"The folder /wp-content/languages/wpml is only functional if WPML is active."

Okay, so I can delete the entire map.

"You should have Dutch files at /wp-content/languages/. If not, you can copy the files there."

Do you mean, I should copy the dutch files from the WPML map to the wp-content/languages map? Or do you just mean in general I shouldn't delete Dutch files from the wp-content>languages map?
---

Also, I still don't have an answer regarding the French JSON and PHP files in the wp-content>languages>plugins. Note, I am talking about the languages>plugins map, so a submap of the general wp-content>languages map. You only mentioned the general wp-content>languages map

February 24, 2024 at 12:24 pm #15340320

Andreas W.
Supporter

The folder /wp-content/languages/ is the default language folder for WordPress.

If your site only uses Durch, make sure that /wp-content/languages/ has Durch files.

If your site does not include any further language, then you can delete those French files or files in other languages than Dutch.

I suggest you download the files to your computer, then delete them from the server and run some tests.

If you run into unexpected issues, simply upload the files again.

February 24, 2024 at 1:52 pm #15340451

thomasV-73

Okay, thanks.

-I deleted the entire WPML map.

-I also deleted all non Dutch files (MO,PO, JSON, PHP) from:
--wp-content-languages,
--wp-content-languages>plugins
--wp-content-languages>themes

Is this everything? Or could there be leftovers from WPML elsewhere in the file manager?

February 24, 2024 at 1:55 pm #15340453

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

WPML will only use /wp-content/languages/wpml for creating custom language files.

There should not be any further leftovers on your server if you already deleted our plugins.

Anything else is saved into WPML's tables inside the database:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/

If you are not longer going to use WPML and not planing to use it in the future on this site either, then you can delete those tables.

Best regards
Andreas

February 24, 2024 at 4:07 pm #15340691

thomasV-73

Dear Andreas,

Does deactivating and deleting WPML also remove those in the database? Or do I need to remove those manually?

February 24, 2024 at 4:25 pm #15340701

Andreas W.
Supporter

No, deactivating and deleting the plugin does not remove the tables.

We do have a rest option for this at WPML > Support > Troubleshooting.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/deleting-languages-and-plugin-data-by-doing-a-wpml-reset-on-your-site/#:~:text=Go%20to%20WPML%20%E2%86%92%20Support%20and%20click%20the,Then%2C%20click%20the%20Reset%20and%20deactivate%20WPML%20button.

As you already deactivated and deleted WPML you can access the database from your hosting platform and remove the tables manually by using PHPmyAdmin.

February 25, 2024 at 8:09 am #15341170

thomasV-73

I followed that guide when I deactivated WPML. So is it correct that I shouldn't have any files left in the database?

February 27, 2024 at 2:43 pm #15349639

Andreas W.
Supporter

Yes, this option removes the WPML tables from the database.

But there might be exceptions, which is I asked to verify if the tables were all deldeted.

For example, when running a test on my local machine the table "wp_icl_background_task", which is a very small table, remains on the database, so you could delete this one manually.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.