Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 54 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
June 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm #13924591

thomasV-73

My WP Dashboard has gotten really slow since using WPML. Maybe this has to do with all the things it has to load now while being in the WP admin. I already am on a premium webhosting subscription.

When I was first starting with WPML, I had to figure a lot of things out myself, because the support I was getting was very inadequate. Despite asking a lot of question, I had to try a lot of things myself. Because there were a lot of things that couldn't be translated, what I did was in go into WPML>setting and go to "translate custom fields", "custom term meta translation" , "translation post types" , "translation taxonomies", and set alot of the options there to translatable. A lot of which maybe didn't need to be set to translatable. I think that maybe this is what causes my WP dashboard to be so slow because now a lot of unnecessary things need to be loaded. Can someone take a look into my site which things that are now set as translateble can be reversed to not translatable?

July 1, 2023 at 10:05 pm #13928227

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Indeed you should not set post types, taxonomies, and custom fields to "translatable" if this is not necessary.

Custom Fields do only need to be set to "translate" if you expect their field values to show up inside the WPML Translation Editor.

Here you have a link to a new WPML Test Site so that you can use the settings as reference:
hidden link

To help you faster, I've enabled a private message for submitting the debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Make sure to only use the private reply form in order to provide this information. Please do not paste the debug information directly into a comment on this ticket.

Best regards
Andreas

July 2, 2023 at 2:53 pm #13929375

thomasV-73

Hello Andreas,

I added the debug info so you can take a look. For me it was really hard to figure out which items I needed to set to translatable. For instance, I work with a plugin called "Extra product options for woocommerce" by themehigh. I needed to translate some strings in this plugin. This is just one of many examples of a situation where I couldn't get to translate the strings (even with string translation) and ended up playing around in the settings mentioned in the previous post, trying to get things to work. Many of those settings are also hard to understand, and you often end up setting something to translatable which you don't even know the function of.

Now I am scared that if I reverse these settings to not translatable, this will cause problems with things on my site that I translated. Please take a look for me with the debug info. Thanks!

July 4, 2023 at 2:47 pm #13942489

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to offer to have a closer look at the issue.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate the issue further.

You can find the required fields below the comment section when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, which means only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before allowing us access.
If you can't see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website credentials are set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you reply, click "I still need assistance."

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are obliged to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

Best regards
Andreas

July 8, 2023 at 12:01 am #13970611

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't see any extremely long loading times in the backend.

Loading times are around 2-3 seconds.

What I can see is some deprecated notices about "WooCommerce Google Ads Dynamic Remarketing" and "WPML Sticky Links" - this means that those plugins are using PHP code that in a future version of PHP will not work as expected, but for now this should not harm the site.

There are further 15 plugin updates and an Astra Theme Update available - could you please run the updates and after that test again and let me know where in the backend you have loading times higher than 3 seconds?

Best regards
Andreas

July 8, 2023 at 11:13 am #13971239

thomasV-73

Dear Andreas,

When I am in the order page (woocommerce>orders) and need to go to an order page or search for an order, I almost by default get loading times of 4/5s. Also, this varies from time to time. Some days there it does seem to be fast (2/3s) while other days it is really slow like the 4/5s I mentioned.

July 8, 2023 at 12:08 pm #13971321

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry, but a loading time of up to 6 seconds can be considered totally normal. I do currently see a loading time of fewer than 4 seconds on this screen.

What is the load time on this screen if you disable WCML, WPML, and its add-ons?

Honestly, if you would have much higher loading times, then I could investigate and escalate internally, but in this case, I can not report this as a performance issue.

Further, your website currently has more than 75.000 orders, which for the loading time seems to be expected.

Also, if you check Query Monitor on the admin bar when visiting the WC orders screen, you will find a slow query that takes almost 0,9 seconds and is coming from the plugin "Pixel Manager for WooCommerce".

Best regards
Andreas

July 11, 2023 at 8:32 am #14011621

thomasV-73

Dae Andreas,

"Further, your website currently has more than 75.000 orders, which for the loading time seems to be expected."

Well, before I started using WPML, this never made my website slow. The slowness really only started when I started using WPML.

Firthermore, can you still help me out with my problem in the original message: "Because there were a lot of things that couldn't be translated, what I did was in go into WPML>setting and go to "translate custom fields", "custom term meta translation" , "translation post types" , "translation taxonomies", and set alot of the options there to translatable. A lot of which maybe didn't need to be set to translatable. " I am afraid that if I revert many of those settings to not translatble, I end up losing strings that I translated.

July 11, 2023 at 8:34 pm #14018031

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

I will be helping you with this issue you are experiencing.

Were you able to test with WPML deactivated? What are your results when the plugin is temporarily deactivated? This will help us identify how much WPML might be contributing to this.

Thank you!

July 12, 2023 at 8:09 am #14020401

thomasV-73

Dear Bobby,

I deactivated WPML and all associated plugins, and this instantly fixed the slowness. So 100% certain WPML is the cause

July 12, 2023 at 6:59 pm #14027903

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for verifying your results!

The next step in this process would be to ensure that this is not happening due to a compatibility issue between WPML and another plugin or theme.

WPML by itself will not cause a major performance drop, SOME performance drop is expected but not a drastic drop.

We are looking here for more than +30% of the page loading time. WPML provides a lot of services, and they cannot go without a cost - some resources are needed: (processor, memory, db requests)

#1 Performance should not be taken when Query Monitor is enabled, QM along with WPML will cause a performance drop. We don't recommend using QM on a production site, and we recommend deactivating when done debugging.

#2 Reviwing your error log I can see the following error

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/huisdie3/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 6958

Please increase your WP MEMORY LIMIT to 500M if possible

#3 Using the chrome extension Page Load Time I was able to take the following readings on average. (They were taken from the WC orders page)

With WPML + WPML Add-ons

Without WPML

Without WPML + WPML add-ons (5 plugins)

5.9 - 6.3

Please try the following and let me know your results:

- Increase WP memory limit to 500M
- Update the theme to the latest version
- Test with a default theme + WPML activated
- Test with a minimal environment deactivating third-party plugins - this allows us to ensure there is no 3rd party plugin involved. (can be common with non compatible plugins)

If you have a staging environment I can do the above tests for you, but as this is a production environment I am not comfortable without your approval to deactivate/activate multiple plugins and the theme.

July 13, 2023 at 7:49 am #14029529

thomasV-73

Dear Bobby,

"PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/huisdie3/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 6958

Please increase your WP MEMORY LIMIT to 500M if possible"

-Do I need to set both the "WP_MEMORY_LIMIT" and "WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT" to 500M?

July 13, 2023 at 7:33 pm #14035879

Bobby
Supporter

Yes, you can do that, it should help!

Let me know your results once done, please.

July 15, 2023 at 12:09 pm #14042473

thomasV-73

Dear Bobby,

I set both to 500M but this didn't do anything at all in terms of speed.

July 17, 2023 at 8:55 pm #14053575

Bobby
Supporter

"- Test with a minimal environment deactivating third-party plugins - this allows us to ensure there is no 3rd party plugin involved. (can be common with non compatible plugins)

If you have a staging environment I can do the above tests for you, but as this is a production environment I am not comfortable without your approval to deactivate/activate multiple plugins and the theme."

Could you please let me know your results on the 2 above tests?

Again, if you are OK with me doing them I am more than happy to as long as I have your permission.

NOTE: Make sure to also update WooCommerce as well if possible

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.