Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mohamed Sayed 11 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
May 24, 2023 at 1:29 pm #13707625

gianfrancoa-3

Hi,
as you can see in the attached screenshot I got some WooCommerce product attribute values in english language, while the rest of them are in italian.

Since my website primary language is "Italian", I'd like to change those few attribute values to italian. Can you please tell me how to do it?

Thanks!

WooCommerce-Multilingual-Multicurrency.jpg
May 25, 2023 at 12:00 pm #13715889

Mohamed Sayed

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting WPML support, I will be glad to help you.

You can change the term language from the term's editing screen as described here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/taxonomies-product-categories-with-wrong-default-language/#post-11379449

So please create a full backup then try the following:

1. Go to Products > Attributes > Configure terms
2. Edit the term
3. Use the language dropdown to change the language

Let me know please if that helps.

Regards,
Mohamed

May 30, 2023 at 7:06 am #13736173

gianfrancoa-3

Ok, I understand but I have a question: what happens to my product variations when I change the language of attribute values? Will my products keep the attributes?
Thanks!

May 30, 2023 at 11:40 am #13739153

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I made a test and found that the product won't keep the attribute, so you'll need to re-add the attribute then create the variations again in the default language.

After that, please update the product translation so the variations can be synced.

Please make sure that you have a full backup of the database and website before trying this, so you can go back if anything went wrong.

May 30, 2023 at 3:35 pm #13741075

gianfrancoa-3

Ok, honestly that's not a great news because I already have lot of products with lot of variations. There's no other way to fix this issue?

Thanks!

May 30, 2023 at 8:49 pm #13742519

gianfrancoa-3

On second thought, I wonder:
Do I really need to change the term language?
Is it mandatory to have all attribute values in primary language?
Will my website (and my products) still works even if some attribute values are in the primary language and few of them are in the secondary language?

Everyting is translated, so maybe I can leave those few attribute values as they are?
Thanks, I look forward to your advice 🙂

May 31, 2023 at 8:50 am #13744381

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

If you don't change the attribute values, the products will keep working but the Italian products will show English variations.

I found another workaround that can help you change the attributes' values and keep them assigned to the same products.

Please create a full backup of the database and website then try the following:

1. Go to Products > Attributes > Configure terms
2. Edit the term
3. Change the values and update the term (without changing the language)
4. Switch the language from the top admin bar
5. Change the values of the translated term then update it

Please check this recording that shows the above steps and the product keeps showing the same variations after the attribute's update: hidden link

Regards,
Mohamed

May 31, 2023 at 9:17 am #13744647

gianfrancoa-3

Hi, thanks for your reply.

But right now my attributes are already translated and I can see them in the right way:
- Italian products got the attributes in italian language
- English products got the attributes in english language

So, it seems that everything is translated and working; my concern is that some attributes got italian as "primary" language while others got english as "primary" language... and I would like to be sure that this mix of different language will not cause some problems in the future. That's all 🙂

Can you tell me that I will not have issue in future if I keep attributes in this way?
Thanks!

May 31, 2023 at 4:24 pm #13748889

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

Thanks for your explanation, I don't think you will have any issues because as you mentioned, the product shows attributes in the correct language at the moment.

The original language of the attribute (the language used to create the attribute for the first time) shouldn't make any difference since it's already translated into the other language.

So I think you can keep it as it is if the site and the product translations work correctly.

Regards,
Mohamed

June 1, 2023 at 7:37 am #13751373

gianfrancoa-3

Ok, thank you very much!
I'm gonna keep the attributes just like they are now 🙂
Thanks again for your help!

June 1, 2023 at 9:38 am #13752401

Mohamed Sayed

You're most welcome!

Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions or issues, we will be always happy to help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.