Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.34 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by michalB-2 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Osama Mersal.

Author Posts
September 12, 2022 at 10:28 am #12032963

michalB-2

In the site there is going to be several languages: English, Spanish, German and Russian.
The problem is with the other language that is Chinese and is used on other domain, how can I use the languages switcher to open the Chinese site? I don't want to open this language on the site

September 12, 2022 at 10:51 am #12033195

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Thanks for contacting WPML forums support. I'll be glad to help you today.

If you use any language URL format other than "A different domain per language" for the rest of your languages, you won't be able to use a different domain for Chinese.

Alternatively, you can use subdomains for other languages and a different domain for Chinese. Kindly check this page to know more about the "A different domain per language" format. (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/)

Note: Please check the (Frequently Asked Questions) section on the above page.

I hope this helps you. If you need further info, please let me know.

Best regards,
Osama

September 14, 2022 at 8:11 am #12048863

michalB-2

OK, thanks.
It not helping me, since I already using directories for the main domain for the languages, I only need other domain for the Chinese, I just I will use links in menu for each language homepage

September 14, 2022 at 9:08 am #12049309

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. You can use the Chinese domain URL in the menu as a custom URL, but the language switcher won't work with it because it is not possible to have a mix of languages that use domains and languages that use directories.

Best regards,
Osama

September 14, 2022 at 9:39 am #12049541

michalB-2

Thanks for help, I will use custom URL and link to the language home page

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.