Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by twentyZen 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
March 25, 2023 at 11:32 pm #13329925

twentyZen

I try to switch to the advanced translation editor. I always get the message: "WPML's Advanced Translation Editor is not working"

I first thought its about the Plesk Security Features for WordPress and completely disabled them. But this didn't help.

I tried with two different sites, both have this error in the log:
"ATE Server Communication Unable to authenticate"

March 26, 2023 at 11:40 am #13331509

Mohamed Sayed

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting WPML support, I will be glad to help you.

1) Could you please tell me if both sites run on the same server?

2) Kindly try the following steps to create a new registration key for your site:

- Go to your account page (https://wpml.org/account/sites/)
- Delete the key for the site
- Go to plugins-> Add new-> Commercial tab
- Click on "Unregister WPML from this site"
- Click on "Register WPML"
- Click on "Get a key for this site" (Kindly check the attached screenshot)
- Register the site and enter the new key in plugins-> Add new-> Commercial tab

3) Please contact your hosting provider and ask them to whitelist the following domains:

wpml.org
cdn.wpml.org
api.wpml.org
api.toolset.com
cloudfront.net

Let me know please if that helps.

Regards,
Mohamed

March 26, 2023 at 4:30 pm #13332159

twentyZen

Hi Mohamed,
I have WPML currently running on three sites (see my account).
2 of them have the issue - they are on the same server. Third one is on a different.

I reset the license keys as described.

Both servers are with the same provider. For both we use Plesk to manage hosting. I disabled Web Application Firewall for testing and also added the mentioned servers to the trusted IPs.

It didn't solve the issue. Could it be a similar problem like this:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-ate-server-communication-unable-to-authenticate/

Maybe something is needed to be done at your side?

March 26, 2023 at 7:25 pm #13332471

twentyZen

At the same time I also get the "The translator could not be assigned to the job" error. But this might be connected with the issue?

March 26, 2023 at 8:22 pm #13332637

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) so I can investigate this issue further.
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme and to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

✙ I would also need your permission to take a local copy of your site to debug the issue without affecting your live site.

If you don't see the form below, please don't add your credentials as they will be publicly exposed:
hidden link

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thanks for your cooperation

March 28, 2023 at 11:56 pm #13353259

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I created a local copy of the site but I can't replicate the issue there, please check this recording: hidden link

Please try the following steps after creating a full database and website backup:

- Go to your database manager (Like phpMyAdmin)
- Go to the SQL tab and run the following query:

select *
from wp_options
where option_name = 'WPML_SITE_ID:ate'
OR option_name = 'WPML_TM_AMS'

- Delete the rows you get
- Go to WPML > Settings, and switch to the advanced translation editor

Let me know please how that goes.

Regards,
Mohamed

March 29, 2023 at 8:46 am #13355525

twentyZen

I found the option with WMPL_SITE_ID:ate and deleted it. The other Option wasn't there. It didn't help enabling the Advanced Translation Editor.

The error in WPML Log still referres to "auth_error"

{"url":"https:\/\/ate.wpml.org\/api\/wpml\/languages\/check_pairs","requestArgs":{"method":"POST","body":[{"source_language":"de","target_languages":["en"]}]},"status":"auth_error"}

March 29, 2023 at 12:37 pm #13358067

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I've escalated this issue to our 2nd tier support team for further investigation, I will update you once I get their feedback.

Regards,
Mohamed

March 29, 2023 at 1:06 pm #13358315

twentyZen

Thanks. Just replied as I may have accidentially closed the issue. Its still open.

March 29, 2023 at 1:13 pm #13358357

Mohamed Sayed

Yes, it's still open and won't be closed by the system.

March 29, 2023 at 11:33 pm #13362585

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

I've received the reply from our 2nd Tier Support and they have some questions about the following:

1. Is this the first time you enable the advanced translation editor on this site?

2. Is the other site where you see the same issue a copy/staging of this one?

Also, please install the following plugin so we can check the ATE records in your database (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-phpmyadmin-extension/).

❌ Please backup your database and website before installing the plugin ❌

March 30, 2023 at 12:32 pm #13367267

twentyZen

Hi,
I gave ATE a try years ago(?) and disabled it again. Now I want to use it for automated translation.

The other site is also a production site. For the site known to you I set up a staging site at "staging." - the rest is the same / same credentials. THe problem doesn't appear in the cloned staging setup.

I installed the plugin. Please use the custom phpmyadmin link I entered in the plugin. However - it the cloned staging works, it seems unlikely to be related to something in the database?

March 30, 2023 at 1:22 pm #13367709

Mohamed Sayed

Thanks, I shared this info with our developers and will update you here soon.

April 1, 2023 at 9:30 pm #13381779

Mohamed Sayed

Hi,

After further checking, our developers found that the request to our AMS server is 404 (Please check here hidden link). First, the request is sent without a trailing slash and then redirected to a request with a slash and 404.

Could you please tell us if you're forcing trailing slash at the end of the request from htaccess or the server? You can check with the server support if you're not sure about this.

April 1, 2023 at 11:30 pm #13381873

twentyZen

Nice catch... yes, the NGINX directive had a forced training slash:

rewrite ^([^.]*[^/])$ $1/ permanent;

I un-commented it and its working now. Is that a bad practice on my side - or should the ressource be also available with trailing slash?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.