Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Eran Helzer 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Eran Helzer.

Author Posts
July 17, 2023 at 7:54 pm #14053287

Klaus Bostelmann

We are creating new posts for new members under category "Uncategorized". As soon as the member is approved we replace that category by "destinations" and "[country]".

Since some time we have to use the "Quick edit" feature in the post list because if we do the edit in the "Edit post" feature the changes are not saved, so the wrong category re-appears.

Our site is hidden link

July 18, 2023 at 8:19 am #14055691

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Does this issue occur with default language posts? If so, does it also occur when WPML is deactivated? If so, then it may not be related.
Please try to do that and update me.

Also, from the debug information you supplied I can see that your MySQL version is lower than WPML's minimum requirement of 5.6. I strongly recommend you reach out to your provider and ask him to upgrade this to 5.6+.
You can see all of WPML's minimum requirements here:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

July 18, 2023 at 12:06 pm #14059043

Klaus Bostelmann

Hi,

yes, on our stage site it also occurs after de-activating WPML. So, I guess it is not related to WPML?

And I asked our provider HOSTINGER to upgrade MySQL

Thanks

July 18, 2023 at 12:14 pm #14059065

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Seems so.

I would suggest you continue in this way. Try deactivating all the plugins, and then testing to see that it works.
Then, start activating them again, in groups, until it stops working. That way you can know who is causing this.

Also, I would suggest you try switching to the parent them, to make sure there is no custom code causing this.

Good luck!

July 18, 2023 at 12:21 pm #14059083

Klaus Bostelmann

Thank you for your additional hints.

July 18, 2023 at 12:33 pm #14059145

Klaus Bostelmann

Just an addiotional information: our webhoster says that MySQL 10.5. is activated. How comes?

Screenshot 2023-07-18 143255.png
July 18, 2023 at 12:36 pm #14059199

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Weird.

Please try to update the debug information you added to the ticket. Let's see if maybe it changed from since you added it the first time.

July 18, 2023 at 1:37 pm #14059725

Klaus Bostelmann

I just opened the debug page and this is still to be read there: "ion":"3.6.4","PHPVersion":"7.4.33","MySQLVersion":"5.5.5",""

Moreover I found out that the categories bug really relates to WPML. On our stage site I deactivated all plugins (not only Troubleshooting mode) and the bug appears as soon as I active the WPML Multiligual CMS plugin:
In the posts list I can still see the three categories assigned but when I use the "Edit" feature none of these categories is visible in the post and if I set categories they disappear after updating the post.
Different when I use the "Quick edit" mode: I see the assigned categories, can edit the list and after saving I see the updated categories in the posts list.
Then I use the edit feature again and now I see the categories from the Quick edit activated but again after editing and saving the categories remain unchanged....

July 18, 2023 at 1:46 pm #14059825

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Okay, so to summarize.

The bug happens when only WPML is activated, correct?

I would like to request admin access to your staging site, in order to see if I can solve this issue quickly.

I have set your next reply to be private so you can share credentials there.
Remember that it is always better to create a new admin user for me, then when we are done you can delete it.

July 19, 2023 at 5:28 am #14062511

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Currently no, thanks.

I will keep you updated.

July 19, 2023 at 6:38 am #14062665

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Okay.

After the usual troubleshooting steps, which did not work, I tried changing the translation setting of Posts in WPML -> Settings -> Post Types Translation.

I discovered that when it is set to "Translatable - only show translated items", categories save okay, and when it is set to "use translation if available or fallback to default language" they don't.

I couldn't replicate this locally, so I will need a Duplciator package, and admin credentials for it, in order to pass along to the development team.

Please provide one, your next reply will have a field where you can put it.

July 20, 2023 at 12:03 pm #14072031

Eran Helzer
Supporter

The credentials can't be used with the Duplicator package you gave me.

Can you please pass me a new one, with credentials that are registered on it?

July 21, 2023 at 6:00 am #14075919

Eran Helzer
Supporter

I think the folder may be private, I can't seem to access it.

July 21, 2023 at 6:30 am #14076169

Klaus Bostelmann

Sorry again, I was sure the link was public, now tried again

hidden link

July 21, 2023 at 8:04 am #14076749

Eran Helzer
Supporter

Perfect, works now, thank you.

I have moved this to the 2nd tier and will update you when I have news on this issue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.