Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 9:00 – 14:00 -
- 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 19:00 – 22:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 28, 2020 at 10:03 pm #7329875

ingoZ

My website has set English as default language. On the shop and archive pages of secondary languages like German, Woocommerce products are shown both in German and in English (while they obviouosly should be shown only in German, all products are connected with their translations).

This error occurred after an update of the WPML plugin. I tried around and found out that the error does not appear until WPML 4.3.19 but starts to appear with WPML 4.4.0 and higher. If I downgrade it to a version below, it works again normally.

I am not sure what exactly causes this though, I am not all sure but the same error does not seem to appear on a newly set up website with the same plugin versions so I assume its an updating issue (probably related to how the new plugin version requests and outputs the previous versions database). I have set up a copy of my website so I can show from the support the website to try around and find out what causes the issue. Please request my website login data so I can provide it to you confidentially.

Best regards

October 29, 2020 at 9:16 am #7332583

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello!
Please check if you have setup correctly WooCommerce Multilingual plugin.
I am asking because I cannot see it in the list of the plugins in your debug information that you provided and it is possible that this is why the issue happens if combined with other settings for the product post type in WPML > Settings > Custom post type translation

October 29, 2020 at 9:35 am #7332763

ingoZ

No it is not related. When I activate Woocommerce Multilingual the problem persists. And as I said this problem only occurs at version 4.4.0+.

Please request my login information here so I can provide it to you to check whats the issue!

October 29, 2020 at 7:54 pm #7338915

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Here you go. I´ll be helping you now.

Please also enumerate clear steps how to see the issue when you write back. thanks!

October 30, 2020 at 9:01 am #7341733

ingoZ

Could you please look into this still today and give me response regarding this issue?

Because on my live site I had to downgrade the WPML plugin to avoid the error but because of this now I receive the notice "You updated woocommerce-multilingual, wpml-string-translation and wpml-translation-management, but the following components are not updated: sitepress-multilingual-cms (required version: 4.4.0" and I am not sure what other errors this may cause.

October 30, 2020 at 10:03 pm #7347589

Yvette
Supporter

You should also downgrade the following plugins:
String Tanslation
Translation Management

until you no longer see that message. It´s for good measure.

October 30, 2020 at 10:13 pm #7347595

Yvette
Supporter

When I set the mutligual option of the post type "Product" to be " Translatable"
then only the German options appear.

Can you check it now?

October 31, 2020 at 9:58 am #7349185

ingoZ

Hello,

well if I was to set it to "Translatable - only show translated items" yes, but this does not solve the issue I am asking for. In my case the setting has to be set to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language".

That is because, while in German the products are translated
hidden link
I do have further languages like Italian
hidden link
where the products are not translated and thus the English original products should be shown.

And in this situation with the setting "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" as i said just with version 4.4.0+ the archive pages show not only the translated products but also the ones from the original language. So please take a look again regarding that issue.

November 2, 2020 at 9:20 pm #7362083

Yvette
Supporter

Alright.
This seems to be a new compatibility issue between your theme and WPML.

I don`t seem to find it in our list of tested compatible themes here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/

Tell me more about your theme please. Is this something that you purchased or is it a custom theme.

I noticed that there is a disabled standard taxonomy archive that would normally be the one that we would expect to be used. (see image).

When I change the theme to Storefront, which uses the standard Woocommerce templates, this archive seems to show the expected results (see image).

So, if this is a custom theme, then you should contact your theme author for support. If this is a commercial theme, then we can follow the standarrd compatibiitiy protocol for new themes. This involves you uploading the theme in a new fresh sandbox site and recreating the issue. I can then send this to the compatibiity team for troubleshooting.

Warning - if the problem resides in the template, it will be up to the theme author to fix. While we might be able to give you a workaround, it will be "as is" and not supported. The final solution must be delivered to you by the theme author. If we are unable to create a collaborative effort, the issue will remain unresolved.

November 4, 2020 at 7:36 pm #7380099

ingoZ

Hello,

I just tried what you said on the given installation. I switched the Theme to storefront (plus I disabled all plugins unrelated to woocommerce and WPML), and with WPML 4.4.0 and higher the shops on the translated archive pages are still having the error that they show both the translated (German) and original language (English) products.
As you can see here with overall 12 products displayed (6 times the German translation and 6 times the original):
hidden link
While in the original language its correct, that it only displays the 6 English products:
hidden link

Please check again my wordpress installation with the previously given login data. It seems clearly that the error is caused by something in the update from WPML version 4.3.19 to 4.4.0 (before it does not appear) that is somehow related to how the plugin outputs the database after the update.

Furthermore, you are referencing muiltiple images which seem not attached to your post.

November 4, 2020 at 8:48 pm #7380321

Yvette
Supporter

Here are the images that did not load.

I would appreciate your feedback on them. I´m also logging in now to follow through with your comments.

DisabledArhiveTemplate.png
StorefrontWorks.png
November 4, 2020 at 10:21 pm #7380639

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I see. For the example you have provided:
hidden link

I believe the issue is that you have set the taxonomy "tags" to be "translated" but the post type "products" to be "Appear as translated".

With this configuration, my expectation is that the listing would include any DE translated products and EN untranslated products.

This is how it is working in this sandbox site:
hidden link

Please see this tag archive:
hidden link

Just to establish that we have the same understanding. Do you agree that this is what the expected behaviour is?

Following that question - Can you create the behaviour you have on your site on this sandbox site?

November 5, 2020 at 10:30 pm #7389933

ingoZ

What do you mean by "You have set products to be Appear as translated"? I have set for products the option "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" which means it should either show the German product translation OR only in the case if there is no translation of the product show the original English product. Since in German all the products on the given 'product_tag' term archive page are translated, I do not think that with this option the English original products should be visible, but only the Germans product translations.

My desired outcome is as follows. I have multiple languages: English, German and Italian. In German all products are translated thus only the German product translations should show on the archive pages. In Italian I do not have the products translated so the English original products should be displayed on the archive pages. I would expect the option "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" to do exactly that, only show the original English language product in secondary languages if they have no translations.

And as I said with WPML version until 4.3.19 this work correctly just as described, only with WPML 4.4.0+ the problem occurs that now I see both the translated German products and the original English products on the archive pages.

November 6, 2020 at 5:02 pm #7395257

Yvette
Supporter

1. "Appear as translated" and "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" is the same setting. I´m sorry for the confusion - it´s just easier to write the way it works rather than the whole official title.

2. Your expected behaviour is what is happening on the sandbox site. I would like your confirmation on this.
This means that there is no bug in the recent release of WCML/WPML.

That is not to deny that your system is not behaving correctly. It is to just discard the possibility that there is a release bug.

If you are able to reproduce your particular case on the sandbox site, then we will investigate this as a bug.

So, can I get your confirmation that you agree the system is working as you expect in the sandbox site?

3.Next step
To address your particularr issue on YOUR site, we can then start investigating any theme/plugin compatibility issues and/or data issues.

To do this, please temporarily replicate the same configuration on the sandbox site to see if the archive listing is working or not. It it is not working, this suggests a server or database issue. We will then focus on that.

Thanks for your collaboration on stepping through this troubleshooting protocol.

November 7, 2020 at 12:01 am #7396805

ingoZ

2) Yes the sandbox example would be the desired result

3) Exactly, it seems somehow related to the database but I can not figure out how. With a new database on the same site it works as desired.

But now trying again on my existing database I even tried removing WPML alltogether from the database (through WPML->Support->Troubleshooting and r “Reset all language data and deactivate WPML”) and set it up new but this did not solve the issue either.
I set up a new tax term here to illustrate it again:
hidden link
I have disabled all other plugins except the Woocommerce and WPML related plugins. It seems to be that WPML 4.4.0+ together with some setting either in the wordpress database or in one of the plugins causes the issue. But I can not find out which setting exactly it is. This is what I would need help with.