Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by John-Pierre Cornelissen 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
November 10, 2022 at 12:31 pm #12429777

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hello,

This is an issue that happens on a regular basis on multiple websites with Divi. I am looking for a solution to stop this from happening.

When I translate a page, there is often an empty string labelled et_pb_image: content that WPML wants me to translate. See the attached screenshot.

- The source language box is empty on both the visual and text tab.
- The 'Translation is complete' checkbox is disabled.
- The copy button works, but since there is nothing to copy, it doesn't enable the checkbox.
- Just adding a space as the translation doesn't enable it either.
- I need to go to the text tab of the translation, add a space there, go back to visible and then I can mark the translation as completed.
- When you save this and go back in the translation again later, the problem is back. You see the translation status first load to 100% and then back to 96%.

Here is a video: hidden link
Page: hidden link

I checked the page itself and there are no empty image modules. I also checked the source of the page in the WP revision history and when I search through the shortcodes for et_pb_image, they all have an image source.

Why is this happening and how can I fix this?

Thank
JP

WPML et_pb_image.jpg
November 15, 2022 at 2:04 pm #12464251

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Just found that it also happens with et_pb_button, see attachment.

This is when translating this home page
hidden link

November 17, 2022 at 6:24 am #12478547

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’d be happy to help you on this issue.

There is a similar issue that has been posted in this ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translation-gets-stuck-to-et_pb_image-content/
Can you please follow the steps of my colleague to see if it helps?

The et_pb_image:content looks like a shortcode attribute of Divi builder, you can follow the documentation below to set the attribute translatable with the Custom XML Configuration https://wpml.org/documentation/support/maintaining-divi-builder-compatibility-wpml/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

November 17, 2022 at 8:31 am #12479211

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hello Long,

I had already seen that ticket but it's not the same.

Your colleague said:

"From the screenshots, I see that you have a problem with an empty box in the original language when viewing the box with the Visual tab. If you click the text tab, you should see the text and images."

This is why I wrote in my support request:

"The source language box is empty on both the visual and text tab."

Your colleague also said that after changing and translating the again the problem should be solved. And that is why I wrote"

"When you save this and go back in the translation again later, the problem is back. You see the translation status first load to 100% and then back to 96%."

I also wrote:
"I checked the page itself and there are no empty image modules. I also checked the source of the page in the WP revision history and when I search through the shortcodes for et_pb_image, they all have an image source."

I just had a look in the revision history again and this is how the image shortcode looks:

[et_pb_image src="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>" align="center" align_tablet="center" align_phone="" align_last_edited="on|desktop" admin_label="Image - ornament" _builder_version="4.16" max_width="200px" global_colors_info="{}"]<strong><p> </p></strong>[/et_pb_image]

There is no 'content=' attribute, but by comparing it to the et_pb_text shortcode, the 'content' is the part between the open and closing tags of the shortcode, so in the image example above it's '<p> </p>'. On the page in question, all image shortcodes are closed with '<p> </p>[/et_pb_image]', so they all have content.

The button I mentioned in the follow up reply doesn't have anything between the open and closing tags of the shortcode. The shortcode looks like this:

[php][et_pb_button button_url="hidden link" button_text="Reserveren" button_alignment="left" admin_label="Button - Reserveren" _builder_version="4.17.4" ][/et_pb_button][php]

It looks like this fixed itself now, so let's just focus on the original et_pb_image issue.

Your suggestion to set the attribute translatable.

Having these attributes translatable or not is not the issue nor solution.
1) The content is not an attribute but the content between the open/closing tags of the shortcode.
2) Everything already works correctly for all images on that page, except for a single image that keeps on causing problems, but WPML doesn't show me which image it is and I can't find a problematic shortcode in the revision history either.

That's why I came to support to find out what the problem is.

Thank you.

November 17, 2022 at 2:36 pm #12483223

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.

I’ve tested adding an image in the Image module of the Divi builder but have not found an option or area to add the image content to translate. I see your theme version is 4.16 in the shortcode, please try to update the theme to the newer version 4.19 > delete that Image module > and create a new one then check this issue again.

Thanks

November 17, 2022 at 4:27 pm #12484195

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi, that's because there isn't any other place to add content. It's just the image. It looks like Divi adds these paragraph tags by itself. And somehow WPML trips over only 1 of the images.

Divi is on 4.19. The version in the shortcode is the version that was used when the image was added to the page. It doesn't automatically change that in all images after an updated. It only changes it when you edit the image again.

Anyway, I removed the images from these modules, saved the page and added the images again and now it looks like the problem is gone. So that's solved.

Challenge when it happens again is to find the image that causes the problem, because the classic editor only shows et_pb_image: content without any reference to which image it is.

Any idea how to find that?

Thanks
JP

November 18, 2022 at 4:49 am #12486973

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi there,

Glad to hear it works. I’m not able to reproduce the issue on my site with the new version of the Divi theme so I think it is fixed in an update of Divi.

From what I can see when translating the page content, each image has group info and it will repeat, please check this screenshot hidden link
So if the issue happens again, you can try to follow these steps to find that image:

- Go to the translations page
- Make the translations 100% complete
- Go back to the default language editor
- Try to translate the content again
- Scrolldown to the image that is not translated
- Find the position of the image on the page content based on the image info (title text, url, alt)

Thanks

November 18, 2022 at 9:53 am #12488597

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Thanks, but that's only the case when the image has a title and alt tags. Here is a screenshot of another site that has this issue.

Should the order of the translatable items be from top to bottom in the same order as on the published page?

wpml content.jpg
November 21, 2022 at 5:25 am #12501347

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi there,

The order of the translatable items should be from top to bottom in the same order as on the published page. You can also try to find the image with some elements nearby the image, such as Testimonial: Anne, Fullwidth Header as in your screenshot.

Thanks

November 21, 2022 at 7:28 am #12501589

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Ok thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.