Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client encountered a warning popup when trying to edit a translation in the WordPress editor, despite never having used the WPML Translation Editor for translations.
Solution:
The warning appeared because the client was trying to manually edit translations while the WPML Translation Editor was still enabled. To resolve this, we advised the client to disable the WPML Translation Editor by following these steps:
1. Locate the Language meta box in the sidebar in default language page.
2. Choose the WordPress Editor to translate the page instead of the WPML Translation Editor.
3. In the pop-up dialog that appears, select the appropriate option (This page/All pages/etc.).

We also mentioned that failing to disable the WPML Translation Editor when manually editing translations could result in lost translations upon updating the default language. If the provided solution does not apply or is outdated, or if the client is still experiencing issues, we recommend opening a new support ticket. Additionally, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that the latest versions of themes and plugins are installed.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
February 16, 2024 at 7:31 am #15310226

Sergio

I tried to see and enter into page edit mode hidden link but I get a popup "Warning: You are trying to edit a translation using the standard WordPress editor but your site is configured to use the WPML Translation Editor.". I never did that before. I have always used normal "wp" pages for translation. Not automatic ways or translator editor. I didn't click any buttons here to avoid further problems, but I see the page title is in PL language... so why it is showing in English? Can you please fix what was changed in the last few days?

February 16, 2024 at 8:08 am #15310298

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

we have not made any changes to your live website, at least in the case I have worked on.

That message appears if you are still using the WPML editor but manually adjusting translated pages. If you are doing so, you need to disable the WPML editor, otherwise, you may experience some translations being lost on the default language update. You can not mix both methods, or issue will happens. If you wish to use WP editor mode you need to follow next steps before:

In the sidebar, find the Language meta box, and choose the WordPress Editor to translate the page instead of the WPML Translation Editor.
In the pop-up dialog that appears, select This page / All pages or etc.

Regards,
Drazen

Screenshot_3.jpg
February 16, 2024 at 8:16 am #15310318

Sergio

So I think it was changed by the support via chat. Because I never used the Translation Editor.

When I enter the page edit mode I see this screen attached.

And in the sidebar there is not that think you showed in the screenshot.

What should I do in this situation?

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.16.41.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.15.50.png
February 16, 2024 at 8:22 am #15310385

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

The thing that could be is that they tested the translation and since you have not disabled the WPML editor it goes to the WPML editor by default, you need to disable it.

You need to set that from your default language page: hidden link

Then when you edit 2nd language page, if notification again appears you can set do not show this anymore and edit anyway.

Regards,
Drazen

February 16, 2024 at 8:28 am #15310409

Sergio

Thank you. I did it. Now that modal doesn't appear anymore in the PL language version.

However in the front the English texts (like Articles) are still visible ... it should be "Wiedza" hidden link

February 16, 2024 at 8:34 am #15310447

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

great, glad to hear that.

As for English text, we have another ticket for that case: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-many-texts-that-were-translated-before/, please lets us continue there as we try to keep tickets clear.

Regards,
Drazen

February 16, 2024 at 8:42 am #15310458

Sergio

ok thanks

Sergio confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-02-16 08:42:06.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.