Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is redesigning a site with an existing translated version on another domain and wants to move the new site to the old domain using UpdraftPlus. The client is concerned about the domain-specific registration for the new site and whether they need to switch registration codes after migrating. Additionally, the client is seeking advice on migrating a site translated with WPML.
Solution:
1. We confirmed that the client will need a different WPML registration key when moving from the staging domain to the live domain.
2. We recommended reviewing the documentation on using the Advanced Translation Editor when moving or using a copy of the site, which can be found here: Using Advanced Translation Editor when you move or use a copy of your site.

Please note that the solution provided might be irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case. If this is the case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at WPML Known Issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket. You can do so here: WPML Support Forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
March 26, 2024 at 2:47 am #15449345

victor tio

Tell us what you are trying to do? i'm redesigning the site which already has a translated version on another domain and i want to move the new one to the old one using updraftplus, first: i'm using a registration for the new one, but it is domain specific after i move it, second: i think i could just assign the old registration code for the new version after migrating any recommendations or issues that you might know of?

Is there any documentation that you are following? none

Is there a similar example that we can see? first time doing it, but i plan to do the same for futures translated sites with wpml

What is the link to your site?

March 26, 2024 at 9:31 am #15450291

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

I am trying to understand how is the second language set up currently, on the older version of the site.

Do you have two separate WordPress installs? Or they were already using WPML?

Please help me understand.

Thank you!

Mihai

March 26, 2024 at 11:12 am #15450725

victor tio

Thank you for your prompt answer.

I have scubadogs.net already working and translated to spanish from english, and i'm working on the optimized with more features devsite under scubadogs.tiodesignworks.com, after i'm done i will migrate and substitute scubadogs.net with scubadogs.tiodesignworks.com under the domain scubadogs.net

i have an unlimited account so creating a new code for the scubadogs.tiodesignworks.com, it's not a problem, but my question is will i need to switch registration codes from scubadogs.tiodesignworks.com>scubadogs.net? and since i normally migrate sites under one language, is there a recommended procedure to migrate a site that was translated using wpml?

March 26, 2024 at 11:16 am #15450776

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Yes, you will need a different WPML key because you are moving from the staging domain to the live domain.

Also, you might want to take a look over the information here, too:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/using-advanced-translation-editor-when-you-move-or-use-a-copy-of-your-site/

I think that should help 🙂

By the way: good luck with the project!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.