Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing issues with translating category links in an Avada layout for news categories. Although the categories were translated, the links on the site were not automatically translated, and there was no manual option to replace them. Additionally, the layout was not displayed correctly for the translated categories.

Solution:
We recommended the following steps:
1. Ensure that WPML is registered and that all plugins, including WPML and related ones, are updated to their latest versions.
2. Translate the category names and slugs by going to WP-Admin -> WPML -> Taxonomy Translation, selecting "Categories" from the dropdown, and translating each category name/slug. More information can be found here: Translating Post Categories and Custom Taxonomies.
3. Check and set the same layouts for the translation languages as the default language. This involves adding the layout to the "Archives" section for each category in the Avada layout settings.

If these steps do not resolve the issue or if the solution seems irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at WPML Known Issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket at WPML Support Forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marsel Nikolli 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Marsel Nikolli.

Author Posts
March 15, 2024 at 11:40 am #15414112

andreyK-12

Hello!

We are using Avada layout for news categories. All sections are translated. For example hidden link and German translation: hidden link
Taxonomies Translation for categories is Translatable: hidden link

But in spite of this, the links to the news category are not translated automatically and there is no way to replace them manually in the translation.

Could you please advise us how to proceed in this case?

March 15, 2024 at 2:43 pm #15414979

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Tirane (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support, I will gladly help you.

Can you please share WPML support debug information from your site?

* To provide the debug information:

- Login to your site and go to WPML -> Support, in there click on the “debug information” link at the bottom of the page.
- Once on the “debug information” page, select the entire text box content and copy it.
- Go back to our support forum, find the debug information box, and paste it.

More information on the link: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

---
1) Can you tell me how are you translating the categories?

2) Could you please set the option "Translatable only show translated items" on WPML -> Settings -> Taxonomies Translation and check if the issue persists?

Looking forward to your reply,
Marsel

March 15, 2024 at 2:57 pm #15415030

andreyK-12

Hello, Marsel.

We want to translate only the page of the post categories, and leave the posts themselves untranslated, in the original language.

The setting "Translatable only show translated items" doesn't solve the problem, it just adds new ones. The posts are no longer displayed on translated pages.

Debugging information attached.

March 15, 2024 at 3:15 pm #15415126

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the update and the debug info.

Could you please follow these steps to translate the category:

- go to WP-Admin -> WPML -> Taxonomy Translation
- select "Categories" from the dropdown
- translate each category name/slug

On the same page, you can also manage the translations of taxonomy "Category" labels and slug.

* More information can be found at this link: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-post-categories-and-custom-taxonomies/

Let me know if this works for you and if you have further questions,
Marsel

March 15, 2024 at 3:28 pm #15415147

andreyK-12

No, that's not the way to do it.
In this case, in fact, another category of posts is created. Layout is assigned to a category, we have to assign it to a new translation category. And it would work if it worked.
But, unfortunately, when you assign layout to a translated category, it doesn't work on it.

March 15, 2024 at 3:59 pm #15415279

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

I would need some more information to better understand the issue you are facing.

1) Could you please help me with a screenshot or a video (you can use loom.com or monosnap.com and share the link with me) explaining the steps you are following on translating the category and assigning it to the layout?

2) I would need temporary access to your site's WP-admin to investigate this issue and understand it better.

Please fully back up your site (files and database) and confirm it in your next reply.

Your next reply is set to private for you to provide the username and password details.

Thanks,
Marsel

March 18, 2024 at 8:11 am #15419479

andreyK-12

Hello!

You can investigate the issue on the staging site you backed up.

Evaluate the problem on the example of "News" post category.
If we take Spanish, this is how it works for us, as the layout is displayed correctly: hidden link.
In this case the category is not translated.
The only problem is that the links on the site are not translated.

If we take German, the category is translated here: hidden link.
And layout is not displayed on this page, although the category is assigned in the layout display conditions.

We need the lauoyt to be translated and the posts to remain in the original language. Preferably, the categories should remain original too. But at the same time the links on the site were translated.

You can access the site at this link: hidden link

March 18, 2024 at 8:41 am #15419601
andreyK-12

There is another problem, but I can't open an additional ticket on it. Can we resolve this issue in this ticket?

When I translate a CF7 form, everything translates successfully, but there is a critical issue:
Conditional fields and Actions are deleted.

Need your help on this issue as well

New threads created by Marsel Nikolli and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-cf7-form-critical-issue-conditional-fields-and-actions-are-deleted/

March 18, 2024 at 9:05 am #15419688

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Per our Support Policy, we can handle only one issue per ticket.

Continuing with one issue per ticket helps supporters focus on one issue at once and enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster.

I created a new ticket for you regarding the new question here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-cf7-form-critical-issue-conditional-fields-and-actions-are-deleted/

---

I was able to access the staging site and I noticed that WPML wasn't registered and that several plugins needed updating. Could you please register WPML and update the plugins and check if the issue persists?

Let me know how it goes,
Marsel

March 18, 2024 at 1:26 pm #15421354

andreyK-12

Yes, after updating all plugins the problem persists

March 18, 2024 at 2:46 pm #15421835

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

1) On the staging site where you gave access, on my end I still see that there are plugins that need updating and the WPML is still not registered. Did you perform the updates on that website or the production one?

2) Could you please perform the updates on the staging site in order we can proceed with troubleshooting the issue on that site?

Looking forward to your reply,
Marsel

March 19, 2024 at 12:43 pm #15426460

andreyK-12

Hello!

I have updated all plugins related to Contact form 7 and Advancet custom fields. I have also registered the site in WPML.
Could you please specify which plugins need to be updated for WPML to work correctly?

March 19, 2024 at 3:58 pm #15427490

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

1) Please update all the plugins that need to be updated on your website (even the ones not related to WPML, Contact Form 7, or ACFML).

2) If it is not possible to update all the plugins, would it be possible to check if the issue happens in a minimal setup, meaning:

- keep the theme you have
- keep active only WPML Plugins and must-have plugins
- disable all other plugins

After, check if the issue is still happening.

Note: Please make sure you have a full backup (files & database) before trying anything on your website.

Let me know if that works for you,
Marsel

March 20, 2024 at 6:57 am #15429499

andreyK-12

Hello!

I have updated and left only the necessary plugins. But the problem still persists. Please see this

March 20, 2024 at 11:22 am #15430628

Marsel Nikolli
Supporter

Hi,

I checked further and, I noticed that the default language (English) has some layouts that are not set for the translations (please check the attached images).

Could you please check and set the same layouts for the translation languages as well?

spanish-avada-elements.png
german-avada-elements.png
english-avada-elements.png
andreyK-12 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-22 07:04:17.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.